2001: A Space Odyssey vs. Moulin Rouge

3 comments

1 comments

Here are two movies that many people would describe as visually stimulating. 2001 is much less frenetic than Moulin Rouge, instead dwelling for a considerable time on each shot. Both of these movie also rely heavily on music, though 2001 goes the classical route while Moulin Rouge uses many contemporary songs. What 2001 is about may or may not matter to the viewer, but there are a good number of ways to interpret it, while Moulin Rouge is a tragic love story sort of deal. There are those who find 2001 to be a tad boring, and I will admit that some parts do drag a bit for me. Overall, though, I can watch most of 2001 and be entertained just by taking in the sights and sounds, without trying to figure any of it out. It's kind of like attending an art gallery with a stirring classical score playing in the background, except more epic and engrossing. Moulin Rouge... I've watched it one time and I can't imagine getting all the way through it again. I can appreciate the imagination and style put into it, but the presentation is so flamboyantly, hyperactively in your face that I felt pissed off after the first fifteen minutes. The story meant absolutely nothing to me because everything was so over the top that taking any of it seriously enough to care was impossible.

ear
ear

Kubrick is my favorite director and his greatest achievement overshadows the bombastic, overcharged Moulin Rouge. (I still have a soft spot for Moulin Rouge as well.)

Any one notice the irony that Moulin Rouge was made in 2001. Anyways I'd rather watch Moulin Rouge over 2001 any day, 2001 is an important film, but you need an encyclopedic knowledge of philosophy or science to enjoy.

Moulin Rouge is a fun film but i cannot let it win over 2001.