Coming to America vs. Trading Places

5 comments

4 comments

These are probably my two favourite Eddie Murphy movies apart from Beverly Hills Cop. Both are classic comedies from the 80s which I watch every few years when they're on TV, as I don't get tired from them. I really like Coming to America because of its sometimes subtle humour, but Trading Places is even better. Besides Murphy, Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis add so much fun to this movie that it's actually one of my all-time favourite comedies.

Two comedy classics! Too bad Eddie Murphy had to leave his abilty to read a script and find real work in the 20th century.

I saw both of these for the first time recently and Trading Places stands out as the much better film. It falls apart a bit towards the end, but it has a lot more going for it than Coming to America, which is unfocused and repetitive for the most part.

Two of the greatest comedies of all-time. Eddie Murphy is one of the absolute GOAT's of comedy. Coming to America is the funniest film I have ever seen.

Trading Places. I like Coming To America, though.

Coming to America is still hilarious. Trading Places does have that nice nude shot of JLC and still a great film overall, but I'm going with CTA.

Early shared universe! Didn't Eddie's prince in Coming To America give a bag of money to the Duke's from Trading Places who were living on the streets?! AWESOME!

Trading Places gets the nod for me slightly. It had been years since I saw trading places so I didn't get the shared universe reference right away.

Eddie's two best...Coming to America has got more play over the years so it gets the win.