True Grit vs. The King's Speech

8 comments

5 comments

Two big 2010 hitters against each other. These are two of my favorites of the year. And I REALLY like both, but, king's speech may just eek out over true grit.

2010 has so many good, verging on great films. Along with these two, you can throw in Black Swan, The Social Network, Mother, Scott Pilgrim, Winter's Bone, Toy Story 3, The Illusionist. They're all of a very high standard and I'm finding incredibly hard to decide which one I like the most. Of these two I currently prefer True Grit - but not by very much. Maybe I'll change my mind tomorrow.

ear
ear

The King's Speech is my favorite film of the year.

Both look great. Both have strong performances. Only The King's Speech has Colin Firth and his performance, though.

Very, very difficult. I'll go with True Grit though, simply because Rooster is too awesome

The King's Speech is a very good movie but True Grit I found to be more entertaining. I am also much more likely to re-watch True Grit.

I admire the production values of "The King's Speech," but I'm going with "True Grit" here. It took fewer liberties with history, and was more fun.

The Kings Speech by a tad

Not to say that True Grit isn't good, but I enjoyed The King's Speech a lot more.

The King's Speech was very good, but there were several movies nominated for Best Picture this past year that were better, at least IMO. One of those movies was True Grit.

TKS does not hold up well at all after the first viewing (At least that was my experience). But, it is better than TG. I need to see TG again, though.

I thought True Grit was enormously over-hyped. The King's Speech, on the other hand, was lovely.

True Grit grew on me a way more that The king's Speech did.

True Grit was incredibly entertaining with great action and that Coen brothers charm, but it was no King's Speech. Although I enjoyed King's Speech less while watching it, as soon as I left the theaters it stuck with me. This impact is why I think King's Speech is a better movie.

If truly faced with this choice I find it simple: True Grit. The King's Speech, while fantastic, was not as strong as the other films of 2010. While King's Speech dominated in every field of acting, the true winners are The Social Network, True Grit, Winter's Bone, and Inception. They all shine in their own way. Winter's Bone: Best Indie. The Social Netwok: Revolutionary and the best film of the year. Inception: Public phenomenon. True Grit: Characters and dialog. If forced to choose my favorite of that year it would be True Grit.

These were numbers 8 and 9 on my 2010 list. True Grit was #8, going with it.

True Grit is good but I just don't enjoy it nearly as much as I do The King's Speech.