The Spy Who Loved Me vs. Live and Let Die

4 comments

1 comments

Moore's first outing as 007...and his finest. "The Spy Who Loved Me," hands down.

They're both great, but The Spy Who Loved Me is better than Live and Let Die. Even though it's really hard to argue against any Moore Bond; they are all fabulous.

The Spy Who Loved Me just feels too much like previous James Bond films for me to really embrace it. The blaxploitation influences that permeate Live and Let Die give it a uniqueness I feel The Spy Who Loved Me lacks. It also has a far better main villain and Bond girl (Solitaire, baby). To me, Live and Let Die is just better.

The Spy Who Loved Me is quite a bit better in my opinion. Also no J.W. Pepper is always a plus.

The Spy Who Loved Me, easily. It has some of the best action setpieces in the series, a great disco soundtrack, Jaws and pretty amazing special effects. Sure, the film is more or less a mixture of From Russia With Love (Soviet agent and Bond work together and they end up falling in love) and You Only Live Twice (big end battle on a giant set, very Blofeld-esque villain), but it does introduce some classic new elements (Jaws, the Lotus) and the film itself is very entertaining, which is what I mostly care about. And I found it to be quite refreshing after watching the rather cheap-looking previous films, which were just too silly (Diamonds are Forever especially). I don't mind silly Bond, but the previous films just went too far with it. Live and Let Die just isn't that good. It had a boat chase that could have been good, but J.W. Pepper ruined the suspense. The villain's motivations were confusing and his twist was lame, and overall I thought the film was boring. It does have some things I liked, like the theme song and Jane Seymour, but the film just doesn't work for me.

The Spy Who Left Me is not the best film in the canon, but it is probably the most representative of Bond films in general. Live and Let Die has its merits, but it doesn't have the joyous excess of The Spy Who Loved Me.