Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest vs. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

2 comments

13 comments

Black Pearl, no contest.

The Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy is much like The Matrix trilogy to me: I certainly enjoyed aspects of the sequels (especially Davy Jones in Dead Man's Chest), but yeah, they can't touch the first.

I try to forget the sequels ever happened, personally.

Black Pearl was fantastic... then there was a drop off each sequel there after.

I never found the second film to be that much of a disappointment, the third film on the other hand, well the less said the better.

They are the same. The third is better, mostly because of the naval fights, but I can hardly find any differences between the first and the second. Johnny Depp is the same. Maybe the character 'Barbossa' could weight enough to make 'The Curse' better than 'The Chest', but basically they are all popcorn movies, with some style, Johnny Deppp and a touch of evil.

the 2nd was my favorite even though the ending was bad

The only problem with the second is that it sets up a third. As above, the same problem faced by the Matrix series.

JRM
JRM

I really enjoyed the sequel. The third film, however, was terrible. The first is still the best, imo.

What kind of comparison is that? The Curse of the Black Perl of course!!

Close contest, but the first one wins because it's a complete movie.

The Curse of the Black Pearl is the best one, but Dead Man's Chest is a very close second.

Curse of the Black Pearl wins. It wasn't convoluted like it's sequels, just fun action and characters. I don't know what they were thinking when they wrote the screenplay for the sequels...

Curse of the Black Pearl is easily the best of the franchise, whereas, until the fourth film came out, Dead Man's Chest was the worst.

black pearl wins.

The first one is the only one I'd watch again.

Curse of the Black Pearl is endlessly rewatchable. Dead Man's Chest is a really great sequel, but it kind of reminds me of the disappointment that is At World's End. 1>2, for me.

Black Pearl is a bit overrated, but non of it's sequel could match it.