The Magnificent Ambersons vs. Citizen Kane

1 comments

5 comments

Citizen Kane is everyone's favorite Welles movie, I know, and it's undoubtedly the more finished film. TMA definitely has narrative gaps as a result of the studio cutting, and the ending isn't the strongest (but then, the book that it was based on had an even worse conclusion), but it's always struck me as the warmer and more human of the two. The prologue is delightful and Agnes Moorehead's breakdown, harrowing. Even with the cuts, I consider it Welles's masterpiece. Without them, it could have been one of the ten or so greatest films of all time.

Gotta go with Kane. I know Ambersons is the sexy pick but we can only judge what made we know exists. The original Ambersons cut might have been better but Kane wins.

Well, both films are on about the same level, in terms of quality. Citizen Kane, though, just has that iconic sheen to it, which gives it a slight edge in this matchup. Still, I would love to see what The Magnificent Ambersons would've been had Orson Welles gotten the chance to make the film he wanted.

Citizen Kane is my opinion 2. or the best film ever. Everything about it is great. Magnificent Ambersons was very good but not near as great as Citizen Kane or Touch of evil.

Citizen Kane. But neither are in heavy rotation on my playlist..

Yeah Citizen Kane is the better Welles film.

Citizen Kane wins this one, but too bad we can't see the Magnificent Ambersons the way Osron Welles intended it. Would have made this match-up much closer.