The Princess and the Frog vs. Tangled

2 comments

11 comments

I'm surprised I'm the first one commenting on this one! Tangled was better, for me!

I have to comment here, even though I haven't seen Tangled yet. Isn't this a step backwards? After the glorious return to traditional Disney animation that The Princess and the Frog was, why is Tangled some weird hybrid of Pixar CGI trying to emulate the traditional Disney fairy tale...? Regardless, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but still...

Tangled is far superior to The Princess and the Frog. Great animation, interesting story, memorable characters. I will go back and watch this much more than I will The Princess and the Frog.

Okay, I've now seen Tangled. Not to knock The Princess and the Frog - which I thought was perfectly enjoyable - but Tangled is superior. Yet, I stand behind my previous comment: As a big fan of traditional, hand-drawn Disney animation, Tangled - a thoroughly fun movie - just seems somehow "wrong" to me. I loved it, but, while fully acknowledging that there are things they did in that movie that would have been exceedingly difficult without the computers, why couldn't it be another step towards renewing an art form that I love, instead of further emulating the Pixar model?

Tangled hands down! The beautiful animation, the characters, the jokes, the Menken Music, the catchy songs, the happy/tear jerking emotion. This movie is far better for me than P+F. P+F was great; but it wasn't Tangled.

I have the exact opposite reaction to all this Tangled love. Sub-par film. Princess and the Frog however... well that was a good disney movie.

JRM
JRM

I liked them both, but going with Tangled.

I didn't think Tangled was bad, not at all -- in fact, I liked it a whole lot. But I preferred P+F's traditional animation, Randy Newman's music (although Menken gets serious kudos for "Kingdom Dance," a whole lot better than any of his vocal numbers), the characters, and its creative approach in retooling the fairy tale. This is all a bit ironic because I'd been following both movies ever since they were announced, and I was a whole, whole lot more excited about the Rapunzel adaptation. Maybe I'm too fond of the original tale and couldn't deal with what was essentially a different story, but I really do believe P+F was the better film, despite popular opinion.

Princess and the Frog is a wonderful film with gorgeous animation. Tangled is an amazing film in SPITE of its animation, which is my only problem with it. I so wish it had been animated like P&F, but the story is just so good it still wins.

Dang, that's hard! I love them both! They're both my favorite movie!

I'm shocked that Tangled is getting all the love here. Honestly, I had been told amazing things about Tangled, only to be disappointed by it's obvious and tired gags, general predictability, and cop-out ending. Admittedly, the animation was great, and some of the earlier songs were very good, but overall, Tangled was a mostly mediocre entry in the Disney canon. To contrast, The Princess and the Frog is one of Disney's best non-pixar feature length films yet, only behind Beauty and the Beast. Containing fun and catchy songs, marvelous animation, loads of heart and the best Disney princess to make it to the screen (not to mention the innovative addition of voodoo), The Princess and the Frog is one of the best animated films of all time. TAKE THAT RAPUNZEL.

I'm also rather surprised that everyone's chosen Tangled over The Princess and the Frog. To me, Tangled was nearly unbearable - the romance was so cloying and the story so boring (ha ha! That rhymes!). Princess and the Frog isn't perfect either, but I was still won over by the stylish direction and cool villain.

Tangled absolutely floored me with how good it was. It took a classic story and added so much humor and action to make it (pun intended) spell-binding. I thought the performances of Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore were fantastic but it was that freakin' horse that really stole the show. And I'm man enough to admit, that scene with the lights and the rowboat and the music...man. It gave me chills. What a wonderful film. P+F, in all honesty, also impressed me. I wasn't crazy about the trailer, at all. But I learned to never underestimate Disney. I immediately became invested and laughed a whole lot. And that villain was pretty boss. It was great and terrifying watching his (spoiler alert!) un-doing. Big surprise, the good guys wins. ;-) But, in the end, it didn't hold a candle to Tangled. I agree with johnmason, I would LOVE a return to traditional animation. It has such a great feel. But, in the end, it all comes down to story. If Disney is able to tell a story with such flair and heart as Tangled by using computers, who am I to stand in their way? To me, I don't care how you produce your film, just tell me a good story in an effective way, and I'm game. Team: Tangled.

The Princess and the Frog was very nice. I was happy to see it, very excited about the return to animation, and loved Keith David. It was a welcome change from where Disney has been going. Tangled I fell in love with. Had a few animation problems, but then you'd see the depth in her parents.... So yeah. I very much liked Princess and the Frog, but Tangled made me sure Disney was back and excited to see what was coming next from them again for the first time in over ten years. Maybe it has something to do with expecting traditional animation to be awesome and most modern kinds sucking, but there it is....

Both Disney princess films are easy, but The Princess and the Frog is traditionally animated, and it wins easily. Tangled is boring, not that better than the Frog.

Yeah definitely Tangled