The Impossible vs. The Beach

2 comments

0 comments

Two films about beaches in Thailand. I neither love nor hate each, in fact I like them both pretty equally; I think The Beach is flawed but underrated whereas The Impossible is harrowing and powerful but also a tad overrated. That said, The Impossible definitely captures the terror and chaos of the Asian Tsunami very well, and features some standout performances from Ewan McGregor and Tom Holland (Naomi Watts is also very good, but I feel that she's been stealing a lot of praise which should be directed more in the direction of Ewan and Tom since she does spend a good half of the film muttering delirious nothings on her back). Although they are fairly close on my chart, and although I have issues with The Impossible's lack of subtlety and unnecessary over-dramatisation in some parts (it's already dramatic enough, you don't need the "American Tale" style ending with the family running around after each other), The Impossible is a solid film, one of the best disaster films in recent years, and definitely wins this match-up.

Ledoyen beats Watts in the babe category, but otherwise there is no competition between Loser Burnouts go Lord of the Flies and Family Disaster Vacation...