Trash Humpers vs. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

2 comments

2 comments

I think both of these movies were designed to irritate me to some extent. If I was basing this just on which movie was most likely to cause a migraine, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is the bigger offender. Trash Humpers is difficult to criticize in any meaningful way because it seems to be deliberately avoiding anything resembling entertainment or an actual purpose. Hmmm... If I had to pick one of these to illustrate what the inside of my mind was like, Trash Humpers would be closer to an accurate representation. I'll go with that.

I'm not sure if I've already mentioned this (you tend to forget things when you write in a stream of conciousness fashion) but I saw Trash Humpers a little while ago. I was hoping to see Gummo instead but TH was easily accessible so I thought "ah, fuck it". Anyway, it's definietley right down there with the most unforgivingly bland movies ever shot. Beyond the first few moments of side-splitting laughter (where the initial imagery of fake, old dudes thrusting and gyrating against dumpsters is just too damn comical to remain unmoved) the movie (if you can even call it that) is a truly detestable piece of filming that is the screen equivalent of cold oatmeal, Test Cricket, hemp and label inspecting. There are children right now sitting in Honduran sweatshops, under flickering light and gun, making the same Nike waschcloth for the 521876372398327th time that are more entertained than I was during Trash Humpers. How this movie can even remotely describe the inside of one's mind is beyond me. I like Scott Pilgrim. Sure, the fact that Michael 'Atrophy St Foetus' Cera seems miserably incapable of making a fist or throwing a punch is grating. And sure, the gay roommate is a cliche that needs to be torpedoed back to hell. Beside that, the movie is funny and well made and pretty much appeals to the gamer nerd/comic-geek in me. Plus Chris Evans fucking rocks!

I'm not saying Trash Humpers is a completely accurate representation of my mind, just closer than Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I'm not even saying that I'm comfortable with what's inside my mind, but that's how it goes... But if I had to choose between, say, Muriel's Wedding and Ilsa, She Wolf-of the SS to represent my mind, then I'd pick Muriel's Wedding. So it all depends. I didn't hate Trash Humpers so much as not really get much from it. Scott Pilgrim actually pissed me off, and I had to force myself to finish it. Evertyhing about it seemed fake and obnoxious in ways that my brain can't process. I can process people humping trash and breaking things, I just wasn't very engaged bu it. I actually found Scott Pilgrim to be more fake and obnoxious than Trash Humpers in every way and felt a deep hatred for the film. I honestly think it's one of the worst movies I've seen in years. Trash Humpers is just forgettable, not agonizingly tedious and hyper-active at the same time like Scott Pilgrim. That's my thoughts on it.

I just love that there are three comments on this pairing.

Make that 5 including yours and mine Gav. :D In regards to the actual match up though. I couldn't stand Trash Humpers, I found it almost unbearable after the first 15 minutes (or less). But SPvTW really appealed to the gamer/comic geek in me, and I was reasonably entertained throughout.