The Shawshank Redemption vs. Star Wars

25 comments

18 comments

This is a very hard choice

Ahhh!!!!!

My all time favorite movie. Check my list if you dare.

Prior to this showdown, Star Wars was #3, Shawshank was #2. Both on the heels of Empire. After the showdown, Star Wars emerges victorious.

I love them both absolutely, but Star Wars changed everything. Shawshank is fantastic, but... no Star Wars.

Shawshank is great, but Star Wars is in another league.

The Shawshank Redemption never fails to put a smile on my face. Star Wars never fails to make me laugh at how absolutely dreadful it is or make me want to make sure George Lucas never pens another screenplay.

Not even close. Easily Shawshank.

The Shawshank Redemption is a FANTASTIC film, but Star Wars paved the way for modern filmmaking. While both can be considered masterpieces, Star Wars must win this. As much as I love Shawshank, Star Wars wins this hands down

Giving a win to Shawshank here. Better acting and story win.

Star Wars has too much history to lose. But Shawshank is a movie I can always watch at anytime. Not fair

ear
ear

Please don't go here. The historic Star Wars triumphs.

JRM
JRM

Star Wars is no where as good as Shawshank, as influential as it is.

Star Wars redefined what movies can do. It wins.

??????

Star Wars. I really loved Shawshank but against the first two Wars films its like beating Michael Jordan in a game of basketball

Star Wars is the greatest film of all time. Period. There is no other film that can beat it

Shawshank is extremely entertaining but Star Wars drives my love for film. A New Hope wins this.

Shawshank wins it for me.

Close, but I'm going with Star Wars.

Star Wars is the better film and is more influential.

Both 8 out of 10, but Star Wars for me

The Shawshank Redemption is one of those rare films that can actually give Star Wars a run for its money. Ultimately, though, Star Wars is STILL the best movie of all time.

Star Wars.

love star wars but its redemption

Star Wars wins this one.

Shawshank for me.

Shawshank. I have to. If it was Empire, tougher choice. Both amazing

WOW. I gotta say Shawshank by a hair, but this is my number 1 and 2!

Star Wars is a great film, but it really doesn't come very close the my all-time favorite.

*to my all-time favorite.

shawshank and star wars? so different but both so good, how can one choose? i think i am gonna have to go with star wars, as good as the shank is star wars is so epic that comparing the two really hammers home the size of the star wars universe. granted eps 123 sucked, but 5 and 6 are good so it makes up for it. but its such a large universe that it makes shawshanks prison walls really are even more oppressive.

Used to love Shawshank but after re-watching it, I don't like it any more.

Shawshank.

'Well, shit.'

I prefer the film making of Shawshank.

Shawshank is overrated

Star Wars is one of 100 best films

Star Wars is million times better. Shawshank is good, but the most overrated movie ever.

The shawshank redemption by fucking country miles

Star Wars is silly compared to Shawshank.

Hardest choice I'm going to see on here. I think Shawshank is the closest thing to a perfect movie I've seen. But, then again, Star Wars.

I’m pretty notorious for disliking Star Wars, and Shawshank is pretty much a perfect movie, so this is easy for me.

I perfer Shawshank over A New Hope and Jedi but Empire over Shawshank.

I prefer every movie in the original trilogy over Shawshank

Shawshank is far good but Star Wars was maximum good.

I Love Star Wars so much! But I think The Shawshank Redemption is a better film.

Both are great films, but Shawshank is an experience I love more.

shawshank is better than ANH

Andy Dufrense escapes the Death Star here...

Both of these movies are in my top 30 favorites of all time, and Star Wars is one movie that I can never ever feel bored by (not that that's a problem w/ Shawshank, just that I prefer slightly Star Wars)

The Shawshank Redemption beats all Star Wars movies

The Shawshank Redemption

Trying to look at both objectively, Shawshank is a more powerful movie. Less thrilling for sure but more moving and thought-provoking.