The Shawshank Redemption vs. American Beauty

11 comments

7 comments

this one will pretty much be decided by subjective appreciation alone. both are fantastic. AB is my personal choice.

Shawshank may have a more developed plot, but I enjoyed American Beauty more. It is a work of art.

Both are amazing and great, but American Beauty is the one I have rewatched more.

American Beauty is a wonderful film. Shawshank is perfect.

ear
ear

American Beauty is my personal choice.

My choice goes to Shawshank.

this is a hard one

To me both movies take the viewer on a similar journey. Lester is trapped in a marriage that at the beginning suppresses all hope and spirit. Andy is trapped in a jail surrounded by people and events that are designed to break him.Both men find the courage and escape their captors. Shawshank has a happier ending. AB has more laughs in between. AB probably holds more aspects which the Audience can relate directly to and plus - who doesn't liked getting nailed by the King?

To me both movies take the viewer on a similar journey. Lester is trapped in a marriage that at the beginning suppresses all hope and spirit. Andy is trapped in a jail surrounded by people and events that are designed to break him.Both men find the courage and escape their captors. Shawshank has a happier ending. AB has more laughs in between. AB probably holds more aspects which the Audience can relate directly to and plus - who doesn't liked getting nailed by the King?

Seb
Seb

Shawshank, just

Shawshank Redemption big time. It is a perfect film.

American Beauty was a more thoughtful film. It also had the better performances.

American Beauty had a profound effect on me. The only way I can explain it is as if I had some near death experience, somehow in just 2 hours that film made me understand everything that was worth knowing about what it means to be Human. And the thing I respect most about AB is that is never panders to the audience. It's unfiltered, unadulterated, and raw.

TSR, definitely.

Shawshank gets my vote, but that takes nothing away from American Beauty which is also great.

American Beauty just might have claimed my #1 spot.

Shawshank is the GOAT. Nuff said.

I respect Shawshank a lot its a grand film but i rewatch and Enjoy BEAUTY way more.

It's good to see American Beauty getting some love. I'll go Shawshank though.

I liked American Beauty when I first saw it, gotta a bit confused, but I will give it a rewatch. I will go with Shawshank for now

I love both of these movies as they're some of my favorites. Shawshank is in my top 30 but American Beauty is in my top 3. So American Beauty it is.