John Wick: Chapter 2 vs. Logan

8 comments

9 comments

Brutally tough matchup, but it's Keanu over Hugh.

Sorry but the John Wick movies suck. All violence with NO HEART. Logan was violence but with real emotion.

Both great, but while Logan has heart and depth this action junkie gives the edge to the superior action and world-building of John Wick 2

Logan was good, and I applaud the filmmakers for giving it an original tone, look and feel, but it did make a few missteps along the way. Plus, the pacing wasn't all that good; it had quite some dull spots, especially in the last third. John Wick 2 on the other hand was pretty much what I wanted from it, and a little more. It ups the first film in almost every way, and it has one of the most satisfying cliffhanger endings in recent memory. It's a damn amazing time at the theater.

Logan outclasses John Wick by a factor of ten (at the least)

I notice that Logan has rocketed up the charts. Wick 2 is definitely superior. It expands the world of the original while keeping true to the tone and style of the first film. Logan brings a conclusion to a character who's been in our cinemas for 17 years now, but it does so with a bit of a betrayal to the films that came before it. Both of these films are brutally violent, yet Wick is the one that emerges without that violence seeming out of place. I am not opposed to Logan bearing its R rating. I am opposed to how excessive they went in that direction. Maybe this makes me a hypocrite because I love the Wick films and, not insignificantly, Deadpool, but Wolverine and Xavier dropping F-bombs left right and center and blood showering across the screen don't jive with the universe that's been created on screen for the X-Men. Bottom line: Wick stays true to its origin while Logan seems dead-set on divorcing itself from everything that came before. All that said, don't think I didn't like Logan. It's good; Wick is just better, and 2017 is going to have to work hard to top it. (And I don't even think Wick 2 is as good as the first!)

Also, the pacing issues have been mentioned. Logan has a few. Wick has none.

Incredibly tough - these are my two favorites of the year so far. Wick certainly has more operatic action, but Logan does the character study very well. Logan by a step.

Logan had far superior acting, even the girl who played Laura outclasses every actor's performance in John Wick 2, Logan explored the character of wolverine like never before and made me truly care about what's happening to him and his "family". It's the little moments that makes Logan the better movie, like when Logan mourns the death of a character, when Logan carries Professor X upstairs, and when Professor X calms the horses. John Wick was a fun action movie with very cool concepts, but Logan simply had a lot of heart. Patrick Stewart provides a side of professor X we have never seen before. The themes of Logan are very mature, anyone with an aging parent can relate to Logan who takes care of a senile Professor X. The film's major subplots of large corporations using their resources to abuse less powerful individuals.The Western feel of Logan was also very unique and fitting, as it perfectly embodies the character of wolverine. Logan simply had so much more depth and heart, the scenes where Logan talks to Laura were intriguing and ultimately tragic due to the ending of the movie, Logan never truly settled down and when he did people around him gets hurt, but in the end of the movie he finds peace with the daughter he never had time to connect with despite all of the violence surrounding him. Logan succeeds because it understands the tragedy of Wolverine's character.

Logan had far superior EVERYTHING. Period.

The me John Wick Chapter 2 over Logan. Logan has serious pacing issues with a downright boring first act.

Aaaah, I don't know. John Wick 2 was incredible from the beginning till the end, while Logan dragged in the third act. But I feel like Logan resonated more with me. Damn it. I guess I'll take the one that made me cry.

John Wick Chapter 2 for sure.

Everything John Wick sucks. I like Keanu but ultra violence with no story or heart just sucks. Sorry.

I guess I'll be the one to break the tie despite how much it hurts because these films are virtually equal in my eyes. In the end, the edge goes to Logan though. John Wick 2 might have better choreographed action but Logan has more emotional storytelling and three incredible performances from Hugh, Patrick, and Dafne.

logan by far for me, the JW trilogy is decent but nothing more than that

My fourth and fifth favorite movie from 2017, John Wick C2 wins by a small margin