Planet of the Apes vs. Beneath the Planet of the Apes

6 comments

0 comments

Planet of the Ape-athon Part 2: Beneath the Planet of the Apes. Yeah, a marathon, whatever. What the hell did I just watch. Beneath the Planet of the Apes starts out as a sort of lame remake of the original, which is still mildly enjoyable. But an hour later, and there's social commentary that is so ridiculous and stupid yet so brilliant and dark that you can't help but be absolutely fascinated by it. I study Political Sciences, and that ending perfectly displays how you can look at nuclear weapons. It's ("peaceful") defense for those who have it, but is seen as a form of aggression by those who don't. It completely works for me, although it is pretty hilarious at the same time. The original is without a doubt better (better performances, better direction, more consistently entertaining, slightly better action scenes), but I do genuinely love BtPotA's last 40 minutes or so. Too bad that the scenes that becomes before that are mostly rehashed from the original.

I actually think Beneath the Planet of the Apes is the worst of the five original Planet of the Apes films. I found the whole storyline involving the telepathic nuclear bomb worshippers to be just beyond stupid. I guess I can give it credit for being the weirdest Planet of the Apes flick ever made (so far), but that's really the ONLY credit I can give it.

I've always heard how bad Beneath is. Well, I watched it for the first time last year and was blown away! I absolutely love it. Still, it doesn't beat the original though.

Couldn't agree more with Caesar. I just can't stand Beneath.

Beneath was very good overall, but the 1968 one was simply more compelling.

I'll take the original. Beneath is okay.

The original easily. Beneath is terrible