The Fifth Element vs. Return of the Jedi

0 comments

8 comments

I'm vaguely surprised; I don't think I've had this particular pairing before. I think The Fifth Element is currently higher on my list, but I'm going to have to go with Jedi. It was my favorite Star Wars movie as a kid (no longer, though), and it took me a second viewing before I really got into The Fifth Element. I love it now, but didn't love it from the start.

ear
ear

This is a hard choice but Jedi wins because I have invested so much interest in the characters.

Battle of the obnoxious Sci-Fi movies. Ewoks are not as annoying as Ruby Rhod. Milla Jovovich's revealing outfit is not as hot as Carrie Fisher's. Both movies offer irritating attempts at humor that cheapen any dramatic impact the movies might've had, but I'm not 100% sure as to which one is the worst offender. At least the scenes between Luke and Vader in Jedi are handled with some dignity, while amost all of The Fifth Element is irredeemably silly. The Fifth Element is a better looking film, but that's about all it has going for it.

@kingofpain: pffft. You would be no fun to watch sci-fi movies with. I enjoyed both of these movies; as annoying as the Ewoks are though, c'mon...Jabba's Palace, the Sarlacc, the Death Star space fight, the final duel...Return of the Jedi is a fantastic movie that is retroactively maligned simply because it is preceded by two better films. No contest here.

You know, admiralpiett, I thought I chose Jedi in this matchup. If you read my comment, it indicates that I preferred Jedi mostly. I am now going to choose Jedi in order to set the record straight. (NOTE: I watched all the Star Wars movies many, many times when I was younger. My dislike for Jedi isn't "retroactive". I've been annoyed by it since the late 80s. Maybe I'm not "fun" in the sense that I prefer movies that aren't loaded down with cheap slapstick and obnoxious muppets, but that's not a fun that I want to be.)

kingofpain, I wasn't trying to dispute your preference for ROTJ, only taken aback a little by your description of one of my favorite childhood films as "obnoxious". And you are dead-on in lambasting the entire Ruby Rhod character; after watching it again, I simply cannot fathom what was going in Besson's head when he said, "yeah, THAT'S what I want to put on screen." But even the 5th Element - as flawed as the latter half is - I find enjoyable for the engaging, original set design, action sequences and characters (other than Chris Tucker). At least Besson was going for something both entertaining and original, something I cannot say about the vast majority of big-budget action films today (Bay, I'm looking at you).

People are always going to think other people's favorite movies are bad in one way or another. Jedi is a devisive movie, anyway. I've always thought that the Death Star scenes seemed to be part of an entirely different movie when compared to all the muppet shenanigans. The Fifth Element is impressive visually, but the tone is so silly that I can't at all take it seriously. At least Jedi has the Vader vs. Luke vs. Emperor thing going on, but The Fifth Element just gets more over the top and goofy as it progresses. There's almost no relief. Ruby Rhod drops a nuclear bomb of annoyingness, rendering the movie nearly unwatchable. Even Ewoks can't outdo that sumbitch. (http://boards.theforce.net/bloomington_in/b10417/30769637/p1/ This is a list of 50 Reasons Why ROTJ Sucks. The people that came up with it probably hate the movie more than I do.)

Yeah, count me among those who find much of The Fifth Element annoying. Return of the Jedi all the way...

I haven't watched Fifth Element in years, (which is why I don't currently have it ranked), but I remember Chris Tucker's character being very annoying, and just being baffled by the character.