Seven Samurai vs. Ikiru

4 comments

3 comments

My two favorite Kurosawa's of the 20 or so Ive seen. A very tough one for me :/

Both are very good, but not great in my opinion. Ikiru has a great first half and then the second half isn't nearly as good. Seven Samurai is the opposite, its latter half is the best part. Pretty close, but I'll take Seven Samurai. (I'm surprised by the lack of comments)

Not much of a contest for me. Ikiru was riddled with distracting over-acting, scenes that went on far too long to reach maximum effectiveness, and dialogue that was too on-the-nose and purposely roundabout. Ikiru had its touching moments (nowhere near as effective as Seven Samurai's scenes), but it was far too flawed to even compare with Seven Samurai. I don't think Ikiru was a "bad" movie, but it definitely has made me more wary with acclaimed films and made me worried to see the "Great" Kurosawa movies I still have yet to see (considering Ikiru is supposed to be one of his best).

Ikiru is a good film, but I don't see why it's no. 13 on flickchart.

There's no question as to what Kurosawa's masterpiece is... Seven Samurai. Ikiru meddles too much in melodrama, while channeling Mr. Watanabe's feelings in a very vague manner. He just meanders through the story without being truly fleshed out enough. Seven Samurai balances its ensemble cast and narrative to near-perfection.

Kind of surprised no one is vouching for Ikiru. It is not a perfect movie, but neither is Seven Samurai. Ikiru edges it slightly as it is more meaningful.

Kurosawa's two best films are having it out. For me it's Ikiru just because it made my tear glands work overtime.

I change my mind. Kurosawa's best film is Seven Samurai. Followed closely by Rashomon. Ikiru is a distant third, but still one of the greatest movies ever made.