Seven Samurai vs. Harakiri

7 comments

9 comments

Rough choice... But Harakiri is simply a better made movie.

Harakiri by a large margin. It's simply the greatest Samurai film, and greatest film in all of Japanese cinema.

If I had watched this back in the 60's I would probably say that Seven Samurai is better because of the bold action sequences and its use of montage for the time. Truly epic in scope and style given the limited influences that Kurosawa had to work with. Looking upon them now however, Harakiri has aged remarkably well because of its phenomenal acting, an affecting and iconoclastic screenplay, and incredible story telling style.

Whoa, I'm surprised Seven Samurai isn't getting much love in this matchup. Not that Harakiri isn't good, but Seven Samurai is the greatest film of Japan's greatest director. Can't top that...

Both great films. I just watched Harakiri a couple days ago and was blown away by it. I just barely finished rewatching Seven Samurai and was blown away by it. The edge goes to Kurosawa and Mifune.

"Harakiri" is great and has some of the most unforgettable scenes in film history, especially the bamboo disembowelment which was painfully hard to sit through. Yet Kurosawa wins this matchup quite easily for me.

Harakiri by a good bit. Seven Samurai is epic and entertaining, Harakiri is hard hitting, thematically complex, and has aged much better.

Seven Samurai was fantastic, and Harakiri is one of the most overrated films i seen.

Take that back, Harakiri was very good, but Seven Samurai still the winner.

Seven Samurai is greater, but Harakiri is magnificent

Both of these are great movies. Personally I love the story of Harakiri a little more, but you can't go wrong with either.

Seven Samurai. Harakiri is a great film, but it delved too heavily in melodrama. Seven Samurai perfectly balanced all of its elements, making it an all-time masterpiece.

Harakiri all the way...

Harakiri ist eines der größten Meisterwerke aller Zeiten, noch vor Kurosawas wegweisenden Sieben Samurai.

As much as I admire harakiri it just didn’t hold my interest as much as seven samurai did nor did it keep me as emotionally invested as seven samurai did. I’m sorry but seven samurai is just vastly superior to me.

Scratch that. Harakiri because I’ve never seen a story told better besides a few other films than harakiri so it takes my vote

Harakiri is better. A more succinct and clever story.