Philadelphia vs. King Kong

2 comments

2 comments

King Kong. Jackson managed to make me care for a monster.

Damn! I can't forget the scene when Tom Hanks sings "La Mamma Morta" and King Kong was so heroic, was a very good remake.

Both are good, but I haven't seen King Kong in ages. That said, while Philadelphia is a very poignant piece with some serious and well-conveyed messages about HIV/AIDS discrimination, it still comes off as being fairly "in your face" (which is ironic because, as per Jonathan Demme movies, every other camera angle stares the actor directly in the face, which I found effective in Silence of the Lambs but very distracting and awkward in Philadelphia). I have a soft spot for King Kong however; while it is very long, it's still an impressive production and Jackson's affection for the story is very resonant. Above all however, they pretty much perfected the motion capture technique for Kong, and Andy Serkis pulls one of his best Mo-cap performances; very emotional and physical, but at the same time not too detatched from reality either. They are completely different films, but I think King Kong just edges this one for the Kong/Ann relationship, plus it's more my kind of film. That said, I need to rewatch it.

Ehhh ill give it to Philadelphia im not really a fan of King Kong or any realistic animal movies.