Philadelphia vs. Catch Me If You Can

4 comments

7 comments

Hanks vs Hanks is always a tough call but Philadelphia was such a powerful movie that it is very hard to vote against it.

Hanks and Denzel trumps Hanks and Leo, but not by too much.

ear
ear

Philadelphia is a hands down favorite.

Philadelphia wins this one. The acting is superb.

I'm going to be in the minority on this one. Philadelphia is in most ways the better and more important film, but I had such a better time watching Catch me if you can.

I need to see Philadelphia again, but even though it's been a very long time, the acting in it has stuck with me, particularly from Hanks. Nonetheless, I don't think another viewing would change my mind; Catch Me If You Can is one of the most fun movies I've ever seen, and not lacking in the acting department either.

I had to base this one on which one I'm more likely to watch on an average day, and so CMIYC it is!

Quite a tough one. I think they're both good, but slightly overrated. Philadelphia is obviously the more significant film, and has some superb acting in it, but it suffers from the usual trip ups of being directed by Jonathan Demme e.g. camera staring everybody in the face in a manner which worked perfectly well in The Silence of the Lambs as a technique for enforcing psychological tension and terror, but just feels out of place in Phily. CMIYC is entertaining, but it's far from Spielberg's best, and I didn't enjoy it as much as some of my mates. At the end of the day, I guess this one comes down to which one I like Tom Hanks better in, and Philadelphia is certainly his best oscar nominated/oscar winning performance IMO. Philadelphia wins.

Definitely agree that Philadelphia's acting, and even the film as a whole, is more powerful than Catch Me If You Can, but I think the latter is more fun to watch, so it wins for me here.

Hanks and Denzel are off the charts, but Catch Me was just a blast to watch.

I prefer Philadelphia.

Both of these films are over rated. That being said, I'm going with Catch as the better film. If you strip away the emotion that Tom's character is passing due to aids, the film is boring. At least in Catch, the movie is driven by a solid script.