Pacific Rim vs. Man of Steel

8 comments

4 comments

Pretty tough choice here and I’m unsure of what to go with. I think I’ll go with Pacific Rim for now because it was quite beyond my expectations while Man of Steel was lower. Pacific Rim also did what it was trying to do better and I preferred its action and both did have pretty grand scale action. However, I found Man of Steel’s a little too on the grand scale and this problem does not exist in Pacific Rim as it is a pretty cool thing in the film. I also feel both films had problems with some of their character development. Pacific Rim had a pretty bland leading character which is unfortunate because you don’t have much care for him and especially as he’s the protagonist, but I liked Idris Elba and Ron Pearlman a lot. Most of the characters with Man of Steel were good, but Clark Kent and Lois Lane’s relationship was kind of underdeveloped and the character of Superman was lacking a bit of depth. Overall, I’m slightly leaning towards Pacific Rim, the structure and pacing kind of puts me off Man of Steel. I still liked the film and enjoyed it, there were good things about it which I haven’t really mentioned but some issues which I've already touched on slightly let down the film for me, just slightly. Wasn't a complete disappointment and Pacific Rim does have its negatives too, no amazing material or anything. I will have to re-watch both to make a final decision because it’ll quite likely change and more things about them will appear to me.

Okay, Pacific Rim is the clear winner here. No question.

Man of Steel.

Pacific Rim; better directed, better technically, more entertaining and much more successful in terms of what it set out to do. Man of Steel isn't bad, but it's not nearly as good as I'd hoped/been built up to believe, and certainly not worthy of some of the defence being put out there.

Both have great visuals, but Man of Steel has better characters, better acting, and better story. Superman wins.

Both movies have some great visuals and fight scenes, as well as major issues with plot and character writing. Given how seriously MoS took itself, those plot holes are harder to forgive.

Got no problem saying I enjoyed both, but slight edge goes to Man of Steel.

Man of Steel sucked ass. People complain that Pacific Rim has stereotypical, simplistic characters, but Man of Steel has the absolute blandest characters I've ever seen in a superhero film. And it was so lifeless and boring. Pacific Rim is still one of my favorites of this year. Yeah, it's dumb, but it knows it's dumb and has fun with it. Man of Steel is dumb and doesn't know it's dumb, which results in it being a piece of crap. Yeah, I really hated it.

Two of the most disappointing movies of 2013. That said, Man if Steel wins handily. Just remwmber Charlie Day's performance in Pacific Rim, and don't tell me the movie wasn't stupid.

I agree with iSeth, both of these movies were a let-down. I thought Pacific Rim was TERRIBLE!!! I still don't understand why everyone loves it so much. That being said, Man of Steel wins

Both filled to the brim with action, but only one's alright. Man of Steel's action was so fucking obnoxious, the way they crashed into a building and ZOOMED in constantly, for like 75% of the runtime, instead of trying to tell a good story. At least Pacific Rim you know what you're getting into. Man of Steel, if you expect a good superhero movie you'll probably walk out extremely disappointed.

I enjoyed Man of Steel more but not by much.

Pacific Rim didn't do anything for me. But Man of Steel keeps me coming back at least once a year.