The Matrix vs. Equilibrium

15 comments

0 comments

Interesting, both similar in style but The Matrix is a modern classic, shame about the sequels.

This is one of the most important matchups there is. Considering the fact that The Matrix stole a lot of style from Equilibrium, which came before it, I find it hard to give Matrix the win. On the other hand, I think the cast and overall effects of The Matrix, as well as the story, were better. So, even though The Matrix would have been a different movie if Equilibrium hadn't been made, the win goes to The Matrix.

The Matrix came first.

The poster for Equilibrium is telling me to "Forget the Matrix!", but sorry, Matrix wins this battle thanks to a stronger story and concept.

The Matrix is everything Equilibrium tried to be.

Equilibrium came four years after The Matrix. (Release dates according to IMDb: March '99 for Matrix, and limited release in December '02 for Equilibrum.) Honestly, I want to give Equilibrium another try, but it kind of bored me. Forget The Matrix? I don't think so.

I'd love to watch these two back to back and settle it for myself once and for all, but as it stands right now, even though "The Matrix" is a much more important and iconic film, I personally like "Equilibrium" better. Also, my last viewing of "The Matrix" revealed a lot of unintentional humor.

I love them both. The Matrix is obviously better and probably one of the greatest movies of all time, but Equilibrium is amazing as well. Both are in my Top 50, and deservedly so.

ear
ear

I guess I need to see Equilibrium.

Both of these are great films, but I think the Matrix wins.

Classic Match. And the classic also wins

Equilibrium was good. But it doesn't sniff the Matrix...

Equilibrium is one of the most overrated films of all time. I mean Christian Bale's performance is good but apart from that it is actually quite boring. The Matrix had a rich story and REAL action. Keanu Reeves becomes a global icon and the film is praised world wide. Equilibrium didnt take off good and it done horrible at the box office. Maybe because it was a bad movie. The Matrix all the way.

preston is better then neo but over all the matrix is better.

You are a fool if you think Equilibrium is even in the same league

Matrix sucked. Equilibrium rocked.

Pff HAHAHAHAHA not even close. I love Equilibrium and Christian Bale, but come on.

Have recently re-watched these about 3 weeks apart. Equilibrium was quite a tough watch, felt lower budget (obviously it is a lower budget, about a third of the Matrix but I mean it was noticeable, the painted cars etc), the story was pretty poor and it felt like it borrowed way too much from The Matrix. The Matrix I prefer the story, the idea of a simulated reality and the ability to jump between them. Really Preston (Bale) was an agent from The Matrix who realises he's a baddy. That's what the film is, there's just no matrix (simulation). The backstory of post WWIII and blaming it on emotion is pretty poor. I get why people like this film and I think there are some pretty cool tricks used in the direction but the fight scenes and Preston being too close to an agent, it just feels too much like a rip off of The Matrix. The Matrix is still a good watch today, Equilibrium I'd happily never see again, albeit I quite enjoyed it.