Iron Man 2 vs. Inception

27 comments

55 comments

A lot of people say IM2 beats TDK but does it beat Inception? Don't get me wrong, Inception and it's a damn fine movie. I can be honest (unlike Nolan Blind Fans) Is it the movie of the summer of 2010? Nope, Iron Man 2 holds the title. Inception makes you think but not in a spiritual or intellectual way. It's more like, "What is going on and what is the director trying to make you believe?" All the time delivering nothing but a grim, one-note tone and poorly shot action sequences. IM2 is simply more complete as a film.

Iron Man 2 was everything that's good about a blockbuster. Add to that Oscar level performances with a thrilling story and you have the best film of the summer of 2010. Inception was cool but not on the same level as Iron Man.

Ironman 2 was the exact same movie as the first one. Inception vs. Ironman is a better matchup which Inception would still win.

I liked Iron Man 2, but it had glaring flaws. Some would argue Inception has flaws as well, but I just don't see it. It's a damn fine film, my favorite of the year thus far (although that title often switches between Inception and Scott Pilgrim.) Inception wins.

Inception is the film with the glaring flaws. Yet, as a curiosity it was fun enough. Whereas, Iron Man 2 is simply the better and yet more fun film of the year.

Inception is the film with the glaring flaws. Yet, as a curiosity it was fun enough. Whereas, Iron Man 2 is simply the better and yet more fun film of the year.

Iron Man 2 = Best Film of the year (TRUE)

I would have to say Inception hands down because it was very engaging and it kept me guessing even after the movie was over. Iron Man 2 was a good sequel but I thought the villain was not portrayed well enough and War Machine just popped into the movie.

I liked Iron Man 2, but it really doesn't come close to Inception. Iron Man 2 is a fun comic book movie, but really is a step down from the first film, and wasn't quite as focused, funny, or lively in either its performances or fight sequences. Inception, on the other hand was really quite a thought-provoking and complex, filled with Oscar-level performances from Leonardo DiCaprio, Marion Cotillard, and the rest of the cast.

Just the opposite for me. I liked Inception but it really doesn't come close to Iron Man 2. Regardless of how IM-2 stands up to the original, it's still a better overall film than Inception. Don't get me wrong, Inception is interesting but it seemed stuck in one tone for its entire running time. Iron Man 2 runs a wide range of emotions and has more depth.

This is a blowout. Iron Man 2 was a disappointment and can't really understand the love it gets. If you like the superhero, just watch the first Iron Man. Inception is better in every way imaginable, and it's hard to believe that the overly cliched dumbed down script, and average action will be able to top Nolan's latest and far and away best work.

Iron Man 2 was an amazing entertaining film, but still a no-brainer. I'm not saying Inception is smart, but is more of a puzzle. And I love puzzles :)

Iron Man 2 is ok but not great. Inception offered these awesome, new concepts that left everyone in discussion. Plus, the action sequences and visuals were great. I wouldn't say it's great but it's good.

JRM
JRM

Iron Man 2 over Inception? That's something I will never do. Just the thought of it is silly to me.

Iron Man 2 was good and entertaining. Inception remains at the bottom of my 2010 list and I just don't get what everyone sees in it. I found it dull.

The problem with IM2 was that it threw a lot of ideas into the movie, but never really went in-depth into any of them. Plus, the ending completely evaporated any tension or fear of peril as the main villain (again, not really fleshed out) was defeated quite quickly and easily. Lots of promise, not a whole lot of delivering. Inception, though, was pretty unique and kept you paying attention. I felt Inception was more thrilling and fun to watch.

Inception......that is all....

Yes, Inception is probably ranked too highly here on Flickchart (could be because most of this year's films were so crappy that Inception seems to sparkle all the more). But Iron Man 2 just simply wasn't a good film. The storytelling was disjointed, the pacing was atrocious, and production was rushed. I'm not saying Inception is the be-all-end-all to movies, and I'm not sure how well it'd hold up against the first Iron Man. But to be honest, I'm really shocked that many people think it's inferior to Iron Man 2. Inception had a better concept, better pacing, and though it had plot holes, told its story better than Iron Man 2 did.

ear
ear

Inception was better. A refreshing new conceptual film over another over the top sequel.

Inception was a far better film. IM2 was fun to watch, and that's about all I'll give it. It had a lot of wasted potential.

Iron Man 2 was awful. The first one was amazing, but this...something about it sent off a wrong vibe. They tried to be too witty, and worry less about the story line. Inception is my favorite movie. By far.

Sure Iron Man was great but that only adds to the exceptional elements of Iron Man 2. It certainly doesn't detract from a film when the sequel perfectly picks up where a classic leaves off and adds more to the story. Iron Man 2 was a far better film than Inception. Sure, Inception was fun to watch once but I've never really wanted to watch it again. Once you know where it's going, it's a rather mundane film. Iron Man 2 is easily the more rewatchable film as well.

Not a fan of Inception. Clever, but not that clever. No heart etc. At least it had a story. And stakes. Iron Man 2 was like the ad break in the middle of a long running soap opera. More of the same, no real impetus to get off the sofa and acutally, you know, do anything. It's not bad, just *meh*. Inception wins.

The whopper of a Deux es machina in Iron Man 2, combined with lackluster performances, tired, repetitive jokes, lack of drama, makes this film a bland addition to the film industry and vastly inferior to Inception (and any Nolan film for that matter).

I probably enjoyed Iron Man 2 more than most but, seriously, Inception absolutely crushes it.

Iron Man 2 destroys Inception on every level. A better theme, better acting, more fun and actually the smarter film with less plot flaws. Inception is way overrated because of all that director love. Release the exact same movie with a different name as director and it would get no love at all.

I actually liked Iron Man 2. Mickey Rourke gave a great performance. Some of the action was highly entertaining. But is it better than Nolan's mindbender? Not a chance. Inception was the best movie of 2010. This match-up should be a lot more one-sided than it is right now.

IM2 is an extremely dumb film with numerous plot holes and lazy writing. Inception is a much tighter film with new layers added to it upon repeat viewings.

Inception crushes. It is just on another level than Iron Man 2.

Iron Man 2, while ahead of most of Marvel's other films, is ultimately idiotic, smartless, and dangerously close to self-parody. Inception is almost the exact opposite. Occasionally funny, always exciting, and with unexpected intelligence and surprises, Inception is the single greatest action film of all time. Obvious win is obvious.

Inception. In every way you can imagine.

Again, a lot of people say IM2 beats TDK but does it beat Inception? I think time has more than proven that point. IM2 wins in every way that matters.

Never been a big fan of IM2, I loved Inception though so it gets my vote here.

Iron Man 2 is more fun and better structured. Inception isn't half as clever as people pretend it to be.

I like IM2, but Inception is infinitely better.

Some delusional fanboys will swear up and down about IM2 being superior even though the vast majority of audiences and critics find Inception to be the superior quality product. Inception is a remarkable film that gets better with age that is still being talked about to this day with healthy comparisons being made to other sci-fi juggernauts such as 2001 and the Matrix. IM2 is pretty much regarded as a forgotten failure within the CBM community, and film in general, skipping the bargain bin and going right to the dust bin.

Funny, I haven't talked to a single person about Inception in at least 8 months. Am I...delusional?

Nah, just a Tarantinorf, but that's alright. I hear there's an ongoing war between the Nolanuts and the Marvelites.

I am also a Kubrickian.

I'm a Scorsesean.

Anybody like McG up in here?

Yikes. You McG's. We don't like your kind here.

Iron Man. 2? Seriously. Iron Man. Vs inception would be a hard one but this is easy.! Inception !

"I need to see my kids again" There are numerous ways one can look at this statement. - The fact that the children's faces are not revealed until the final scene of the film (one of the theories of the film) indicates that if it was all a dream and Cob's subconscious was not allowing him to see their faces until he knew, or at least accepted, that they were real. In this case, seeing them indicates an internal struggle to allow himself to see them and accept them. - An alternative theory is the more literal one, where he wants to physically get home to America and be with his kids again. Some argue why he couldn't just fly the kids to him. Putting aside the numerous plot holes that would form if the movie had taken that direction (Getting Mal's mother to agree to sign the papers allowing them to fly, the fact that they could trace them to Cobb's location), what kind of father would want his kids to be raised in a world where their lives are constantly in danger and they have to run from authorities and hit-men all the time? Which leads to the underlying theme of the film... - "I want to see my kids" is a metaphor for "I want the nightmare to be over". Whether Cobb's life of being hired by shifty organizations and running from authorities/hitmen is a dream or reality, he just wants it to end; he wants to have a normal life. He wants to see his kids without all of that baggage. The rich, phenomenally layered film just works on so many sensational levels and gets better with each viewing.

Iron Man is indeed the absolutely perfect mix of high-tech razzle dazzle mixed with a complex soulfulness and good old-fashioned charisma. Iron Man 2 sure delivers the fun but it’s such intelligent fun. Honestly, its Stan Lee meets Shakespeare. The Hammer/Stark rivalry is more like Hamlet and Claudius then Superman to Lex Luthor. Iron Man is simply more complex as a character then most other action films but it loses none of the spark or none of the pure popcorn fun. How many other films can you say that about?????

The inner workings of the mind are explored with such creativity and complex genius that it changes the very way we look at behavior and brilliantly layers the intricacies between external and internal manipulation. Combined with a pitch perfect cast of memorable characters and riveting drama, Inception is yet another Nolan masterpiece that changes the direction of film making for the better.

First and foremost to me the writing in Iron Man 2 delivers genuine wit and is strong across the board. I think a lot of summer films are lost in pre-production when they decide to shoot a dumb script or make it up as they go along. Clearly, Iron Man 2 must have had a strong script and great writers. They avoid a lot of the mistakes other films like this make. The story is as good as any comic book adaptation I’ve ever seen. The plot actually tugs at the heart strings, makes you think and still hits the funny bone more then once. The story and epic battle make perfect sense. What I liked about the first Iron Man is that it was somewhat grounded in reality. No teenage kids as superheroes or men dressing up as rodents, not that there’s inherently anything wrong with those turns. I simply like fantasy grounded in reality. The effects really did surpass what they did before and I actually thought the last time out they deserved FX Oscar consideration. These are some of the best scenes out of any action film ever. Best of all, I couldn’t tell what was Computer Generated Images and what was practical. Most loved this movie for a reason.

With dumb dialogue, rock bottom, fratboy attempts at humor, dumb, contrived plot twists, a pathetic attempt to give the film pathos with the shoehorned, chiche "video from the past" and an unmemorable villain that even the actor states is one dimensional, it's no wonder IM2 is so forgotten by most and looked down upon by the rest.

Iron Man 2 Easily fulfilled and the exceeded all of my expectations. Iron Man 2 is EVERYTHING you would want in a movie and much more! It is a special treat when a sequel reaches up and delivers an excellent film that you thoroughly enjoy as much if not more than a beloved first installment. It truly feels like they just paused and kept telling the same story. Hopefully they can do it again and skip that third movie curse. Think of it as another installment and they’ll be fine.

With any chances of a "Good" trilogy dashed with the ridiculously flawed second installment, the only thing Shane Black should try to aim for is "not be as bad as Iron Man 2. Granted, the first film itself was basically 'saved' by RDJ rather than 'stolen' by him.

The makers of Iron Man 2 held nothing back. When it works, as it does here, it rekindles even a cynic's movie love. So kudos to Downey, Paltrow, Cheadle, Rockwell, Rourke and especially Favreau! What a film! Visually, it is a sight to behold, with more then impressive special effects. In addition to the SPX, every scene was captivating, whether it was full on armor action or the charismatic “down time” delivered by the best cast possible. Isn’t that what movies are suppose to be about? It’s good to see the response to the movie has been, for the most part, very positive. I’ve noticed that sometimes expectations are unreasonable or some fans are too attached to their comic book preconceived notions. (X-Men and Wolverine fans I’m looking right at you!) Iron Man 2 stayed close enough to its roots and most are judging it as a film first. Whatever the reason, it seems most enjoyed it as much as I did.

Nolan has truly outdone himself with this epic tale of the inner workings of the mind. With a brilliant cast giving career best work and a truly remarkable script full of wit, heart, soul and brains, Inception pushes the boundaries of film making art and gives us a spectacular story of love, sacrifice and teamwork that makes you engage parts of your mind you never expected to be reached. An endlessly re-watchable film that gets better with repeat viewings. Given the handicaps it had going into it (original idea, no 3D, no franchise/prequel, dutiful attention by the audience) this could have been a failure in another director's hands, but Nolan is much like the Goose and Miller's daughter of fairy tale lore, Nolan can create valuable treasure from nothing.

Unlike similar films that are geared mostly for children, Iron Man 2 has something for the adult crowd. As a viewer, you are constantly vacillating between intense sequences and fun moments. The special effects are naturally flawless and spectacular. There’s nothing to dislike about this movie unless you went in not wanting to like it. In every respect, it’s a better film than anything Nolan has ever done or probably ever will do.

"Over weeks, months, arguably years, names will be dropped, movie titles repeated, as critics and fans wrestle with the importance of "Inception": Stanley Kubrick's "2001," the Wachowski siblings' "Matrix" (the good original), Nolan's own "Memento." "Inception" runs about 2 1/2 hours. Two hours in, I looked at my watch. It was not a gesture of boredom but an expression of regret that the ride would soon end. " Lisa Kennedy, writer, critic... Phophet! Inception cripples IM2 in every measurable aspect.

Robert Downey delivers and his Tony Stark still ranks right up there with the best performances of his stellar career. All the cast comes through in big, bright ways. Iron Man 2 delivers tremendous characters, impressive visuals, outstanding story, prodigious acting and amazing action. Nothing beat this film in 2010. Is Iron Man the best superhero ever? That’s depending on taste but has he given us the best two films ever? Yeah, probably and it’s one great film

So many films are content to dumb down their content and present audiences with the bare bone explanations of the inner workings of mind and memory. Inception challenges this by giving us a remarkable complex and brilliant depiction of "changing one's mind" in a way that has never been done before. Combined with career best work from every actor involved, sensational practical effects immersed with subtle CGI and adrenaline pumping action set pieces, Inception is EASILY the most outstanding film of 2010 and one that everyone still talks about fondly to this day.

I’ve seen Iron Man described as the ultimate wish-fulfillment role model. After all, who wouldn’t want to be a super-rich billionaire, have chicks all over them, use their money to become a real-life superhero and have more toys then one knows what to do with. Sounds great right? Well, the beauty of this film is that is dives in to that question and so much more. Like the first, where does personal responsibility come in to play? What roll does responsibility and purpose play in life? Deep thoughts from an action film but that’s the beauty of this franchise. It has depth and character to go along with its kick assery.

"Yes, instead of simply writing a formula for a new type of energy in a notebook and decreeing it to my son in a will immediately after my death, I'll create a ridiculous, elaborate setup so convoluted that even Nicholas Cage's warped psyche wouldn't utilize in a National Treasure film. I'll put it inside a ridiculously complicated diorama of a theme park and make a vague statement in a mentally deficient display of hope that Tony'll somehow "get it" and pray that it doesn't get stolen or destroyed at some point. Oh, and the energy source will also conveniently cure him of a blood disorder I couldn't possibly have known he would acquire in the future."

Iron Man 2 delivers action with great emotional moments and a movie that lives up to all the hype it has generated. It hits a high standard of excellence by combining humor, a complex plot, breathtaking action sequences, a heavy dose of self discovery and realization, betrayal, forgiveness, love and puts it all together in one amazing package. All too infrequently, a much hyped blockbuster hits the mark with such power that it resonates above all others. Iron Man 2 is such a movie. Much like the first film, it’s truly deep and complex but sacrifices none of the fun. The inner turmoil worked well, the beautiful thing is that we can relate to each character, especially that of Tony Stark. Stark’s indomitable charm mixed with his flawed character makes this hero more interesting then most.

"The movie is intriguing, action packed, intense, but its also mysterious and emotional. In addition to themes of family and loyalties … the biggest is reality… for both the audience and the characters trying to figure out what is real and what is just a dream is a full time exercise. The crew for this heist is stocked with experts … they are effective, but not without their problems… addding an air of uncertainty if they’ll be able to pull this off. Its a great cast from Leonardo DiCaprio’s lead to the limited but effective roles of Pete Postlethwaite and Michael Caine – everyone is given just the right amount of screentime and dialogue. Nolan likes troubled heroes and DiCaprio does it so well here… but Nolan also likes to give his characters depth and its one of the biggest things I look for in a movie beyond the standard entertainment value, storyline and acting… I want character development… and even in the limited screentime or dialogue we get character development for everyone in “Inception”. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great as a well-groomed, yet slightly mysterious sidekick, Ellen Page is the bright but confused new recruit, Tom Hardy is solid as the slick undercover man, Ken Watanabe is solid as the dual edged friend or foe, Dileep Rao is well cast as the smart but not field experienced man of science, Cillian Murphy is great as the uptight rich kid with father-son issues, Marion Cotillard is stunning in her portrayal of DiCaprio’s long lost love with her own issues , Pete Postlethwaite gets a few scenes as Murphy’s ill father which he plays spot on, and Michael Caine’s mentor figure is smooth and so effortless to DiCaprio’s character… and their chemistry makes it seem like they’ve been together for years. The writing is also great – the story moves and engages the audience, its certainly doesn’t feel like 2 1/2 hours. Nolan’s script gives us many memorable lines, but the one that stuck with me most is DiCaprio’s character Mr. Cobb explaining that the most contagious parasite is “An idea. From the tiniest seed, it spreads like a virus.” The score by Hans Zimmer also adds depth and invokes emotion – its epic, thrilling, mysterious and haunting… everything you’d expect from the 1995 Oscar Winner for Best Score (“Lion King”) and the composer behind “The Dark Knight” (2008), “Gladiator” (2000), and “The Ring” (2002). The cinematography, editing, costumes, sets, lighting and everything else in this movie is top notch… “Inception” is brilliant, amazing, intriguing … the most complex action movie ever…"

Did you...did you quote yourself?

Iron Man 2 is so much better that I almost can’t convey how much I enjoyed this film. Maybe it’s because the character of Tony Stark is one of the most complex and intriguing that any genre has to offer. Maybe it’s because they managed to make a movie that is better than the first in every way (and the first is a great film). Everything converged perfectly, making this one of the best sequels of all-time. The cast is obviously stellar but that doesn’t always mean greatness (American Gangster, Shutter Island anyone?). I’m happy to say this amazing cast delivers in every way. Downey is as great as he was in Iron Man 1 and hits yet another home run. They took the character seriously but still remembered to include fun and humor. Fury, SHIELD, and the Black Widow are perfectly intertwined in to the story. It’s a natural fit. So, people worrying that there was too much crammed in to the movie should rest easy. It all works masterfully.

Nolan constructs such a brilliantly layered labyrinth of wonderous fantasy aspects blended flawlessly with grounded humanity. Cob's concepts of right and wrong are put on display with such depth and texture that the 2 1/2 hour running time moves along at a brisk pace due to how caught up and invested the viewer is in his work and his life. The cast is flawless with everyone delivering lifetime-achievement level performances, delivering great dialogue with many memorable quotes. Simply put, a flawless spectacle of spectacular flawlessness and perfect fantasy of fantastic perfection.

I should copy and paste a positive review of Kick-Ass to prove...something. I dunno. "5 out of 5 stars" - Critic MacSomeone. See? See? See?

Iron Man 2 truly captures the best of the American style of epic cinema… smartly displayed in the big yet intelligent action packed epic. One question: Is this the best sequel of all-time? Everything about this movie is phenomenal. Iron Man 2 is easily the strongest superhero entry since Spider-Man 2. It also tops X-Men 2 and that’s saying something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCM6TZgTMI

"Will I seem hopelessly square if I find “Kick-Ass” morally reprehensible and will I appear to have missed the point?" - Roger Ebert

Nolan establishes himself as the Kubrick of the 21st century with a brilliant installment of the scifi genre, with an ambiguous ending that rivals the majesty of the Star Child. Smarter than the Matrix without the pretension, smarter than Iron Man 2 and better with humor as well.

Kubrick is dead and so is the Nolan trilogy. The difference is that Kubrick will be remembered years from now but this batman stuff will be forgotten and all lumped together. Sad when you think about it for the loyal fans.

"The twist ending of Iron Man 2 caught me off guard when Commissioner Gordan got caught sleeping with She Hulk. Aquaman's performance was as deep as the oceans he lives in. I think they should have allowed more screen time for Heman, as his character was underdeveloped." - Robert Jacobsonsmith

"Inception" is an excellent and breathtaking movie that is one of the only films released during the Summer of 2010 that lives up to its hype. It is a perfect and highly original film that holds your attention until the credits roll. The less you know about this movie going in, the more you will be entranced by seeing it. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Dom Cobb, a world class criminal who, with the help of a team of sleep experts, works his way into people's subconscious and steals what people value most: ideas directly from their minds. In his last assignment to possibly clear his name, he is assigned not to steal an idea from someone, but to plant one inside that person's mind. The difficulty comes when certain people are trained to block their ideas from being taken. That plot summary only covers the basics of this pretty complicated story, but to describe every plot detail would take away the magic of this film you must see yourself to believe. DiCaprio is good in his role, but unlike many other films he has starred in, this is perhaps his only role where his character alone does not carry the weight of the movie on his shoulders or share it equally with one other co-star. Instead, this great ensemble cast teams together to make this movie work, just as their characters collaborate to pull off such a unique heist. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, and Tom Hardy are especially good in their roles. The special effects in this film were also very good, which is amazing considering their simplicity compared to the "Matrix" movies. There are slow-motion shots, but no impossible kung fu fighting sequences. It's especially interesting when the film gets into the architecture of certain dreams, and impossible sequences are filmed in a way I've never seen other than in drawings. However, the special effects would mean nothing if the story wasn't good. For this reason, even something as simple as a spinning top holds your attention in a way you would never think it would when seeing it in this film. The credit here can be given to writer and director Christopher Nolan, who has not made a bad film yet. There are many twists and turns in this film, but Nolan never loses his focus in the process of telling the story. It's an incredibly entertaining movie, but it also makes you think and continues to do so after you leave the theater.

Inception buries iron man 2

Iron Man 2 is the shit!!!!!! No really, it's an actual shit............... On the new carpet!!!!!

The snow level in Inception, which I felt dragged a little, causes it to lose here to a film that had me entertained throughout.

Inception. No contest.

Inception, hands down. Even against the Avengers, I would choose Inception (I LOVE Marvel Movies, but that's how it is) .

Iron Man 2 is the definite winner.

Inception wins and calling that an easy choice would be an understatement!

Inception easily. Iron Man 2 was forgettable as hell.

'It's strange how Iron Man 2 looks good in this matchup'.

Iron Man 2 is fun, but Inception easily wins, in my opinion.

Iron Man 2 sucked. Shut up, SquareMaster.

LOL

MysticSpoon=SquareMaster. :p

That's te verdict: SquareMaster=CAPTMarvelous=MysticSpoon=OneFuckTooMany=yellowjacket=ToryK.

That's the verdict: SquareMaster=CAPTMarvelous=MysticSpoon=OneFuckTooMany=yellowjacket=ToryK.

Inception is on a different level than Iron Man 2. End of story.

Inception

Even the tamest of the MCU beats Nolan's best effort. Not even close, it's Iron Man all day.

Nolan's masterpieces tops any MCU film, until Dark Knight tops Iron Man 2 by 1000 miles ahead and now this is now beyond as Inception tops Iron Man 2 by 800 miles ahead.

The more I think of it the more Iron Man 2 will rise up the MCU charts from here on out. I have a feeling the MCU is going to go full SJW soon and shit the bed. So, things like Iron Man 2 that were considered merely "good" will seem great by comparison very soon.

how the fuck does iron man 2 beats inception y'all nuts jesus

Wow... Iron Man 2 is a fine sequel but it doesn't even measure up to the original Iron Man... Let alone the best film of 2010.

Inception by a massive margin. No explanation needed