The Shining vs. Halloween

14 comments

10 comments

damn thats hard!!!

should be a DRAW button for these occasions :-p

I too, vote for the adding of a DRAW button, but only if we also get a THE Y BOTH SUCK button, too. PREDATOR 2 vs. Nic Cage's WICKER MAN was one of the occasions where such a SUCK button would have come in handy!

Halloween stuck with me as a kid when I first saw it, and The Shining managed to do that after second-viewing it only. Atmosphere in Shining is better and the story is slightly sharper, but Halloween really redefined the horror genre for me, and there have been truly no horror films that have reached its grasp. Michael for the win!

I'll take the silent but deadly Micheal Myers. He's a little more disturbing to watch. Compared to the over the top Jack Torrance.

This is a tough one between two masterpieces, I think enjoy Halloween just a little bit more so I'll go with it.

I found Halloween frankly underwhelming, perhaps by virtue of seeing it after it's been hyped up so much. It's a solid slasher film with some creepier-than-most moments, but The Shining is pure masterpiece, and much much more disturbing on a much deeper level.

I will say that Halloween is a fine slasher movie. Arguably one of the best of its kind. That said, slashers isn't really a genre that holds my interest a whole lot. The Shining, being more of a psychological horror, is way more up my alley. Even if I were to toss aside my genre bias, The Shining would still win due to sheer level of artistry and the big impact acting going on. Just take the shot of the twins standing in the hallway. There's no real reason why this should be creepy, and yet it is. Immensely so. This is an easy win for The Shining.

Two horror heavyweights in these two. In the end it's The Shining's pure, cold creepiness that tops Halloween.

Halloween redefined the horror movie genre and spawned countless numbers of rip-offs, sequels, and the like. It was also the first true scary movie I've seen and it still stands as the scariest film I have ever seen. I love The Shining's creepiness, the way it makes you think, and the odd way of how it likes to f*ck your mind at ever turn. If it came down to it, I would say Halloween because it's one scary ride.

Now THIS is a match-up! Both are horror classics, only two years apart. Both very chilling and and expertly shot. My vote is with The Shining. Kubrick and Nicholson is a match made in cinematic heaven (or hell...)

I choose Halloween

Michael can easily murder Jack

The Shining X10.....

shining anytime

I take that back Shining wins

Give me Kubrick.

The Shining wins! Jack could easily murder Michael.

Surprise : Shining no an 18 - 0. Halloween is an masterpiece, but Shining is superior

I changed my mind. After 11 years and 1000 views, my favorite film of all-time is redefined. Halloween, haha.

The two greatest horrors of all-time. (Don't consider Jurassic Park being a echo-horror) These two are the favs. of mine in this genre. On my Halloween re-watches this can change, but Jack Nicholson, Stephen King, and Stanley Kubrick tops Michael Myers, John Carpenter, and The Godfather of the slashers flicks.

How could anyone seriously believe that Jack Torrance would best Michael Myres??? Anyway, I too am generally more interested in psychological horror than slashers, but I so despise Nicholson's performance in The Shining, not to mention the rather misogynistic portrayal of Wendy Torrance, that Halloween is an easy winner for me.

The Shining easily.

Jack Torrance > Michael Myers.

A momentary loss of muscular coordination.

Word's of wisdom, Lyod. Words of wisdom.

Michael Myers > Jack Torrance and Halloween 1978 > The Shining 1980. No doubt. Hey, you guys should try hopping off of Stanley Kubrick's jock once and a while. Lmao !

Michael Myers > Jack Torrance and Halloween 1978 > The Shining 1980. No doubt. Hey, you guys should try hopping off of Stanley Kubrick's jock once and a while. Lmao !