The Shining vs. The Thing

12 comments

5 comments

The Thing.. but just barely

Two classics, no doubt about that. But there is also little doubt in my mind about the winner, Kubrick wins once again!

#9 vs. #10, Shining wins...

The Shining. Kurt Russell ain't got nothin' on Scatman Crothers.

Here's Johnny!!!!!

Close, but I'll give Kubrick's most mainstream movie(?) the nod.

The biggest problem with The Thing is it has like 50 characters for no reason. And then when they either can't think of a way to wrap it up logically or don't have the time, they slap a big "80s horror movie ending" on it and make some stuff explode with a big bad monster showdown and a one-liner. These flaws kinda stick out next to The Shining.

Two atmospheric Horror/Thrillers that deliver the goods. The Shining is just too fucking good though. (On a side not both of these films wrongfully received Razzie nomination when they should have instead received Oscar nominations for the same category. For The Thing it was Morricone's brilliant score and for The Shining it was Kubrick's direction! WHAT THE FUCK!)

*note

The Shining is better...

The Thing by a infinite amount.

the thing was great at the first time i saw it, but obviously the shinning is a better film.

The Thing for me. The Shining has amazing atmosphere with the soundtrack and the slow dragging shots, it's also got one of if not the best J.N performance he's ever given on screen but The Thing has that extra edge all around IMHO. Regardless, very close matchup, two of my favorites.

The Shining is the best horror film of all time. The Shining wins. The thing is also good, but has flaws while The Shining is what horror perfection looks like.

After re watching both, i still pick The Shining. Although, i think The Thing has closed the gap a little.

Good evening, Mr. Torrance.

I don't want to be too harsh on The Shining because at the end of the day I still think it's a good movie and can definitely see why people love it so much, but for me it just didn't immediately scream "masterpiece" when I first saw it, and yeah, I think I would go so far as to call it a teeny-tiny bit overrated. I have no such doubts about The Thing, however: that movie is an absolute classic as far as I'm concerned!

For some odd reason I never got into the Shinning. The THING is shocking and scary movie. THE THING

The Shining nominally perfect