Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone vs. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

7 comments

5 comments

WTF dude!

Oh boy, how the HP movies have changed...I love the first two Harry Potter movies, mostly for nostalgic reasons. They also had a great, spooky and (you guessed it) magical atmosphere. They really captured that wizard world feel, especially the first one. And the first one has countless memorable moments. I mean really, count them: the broomstick training scene, the three-headed dog, the staircases, the quidditch game, the troll, the ghosts, diagon alley, gringotts, the scene at Olivander's...so many memorable things. In a way, it's like 'The Goonies' for my generation, the 90s kids. Anyway, Deathly Hallows part 1 is one of the weaker Harry Potter movies, along with 4 and 5. It's little more than a set-up for the second movie and it's pretty boring. Nostalgia for the win.

Totally agree with you on The Goonies comment. I immediately turn back into a 12-year-old when I watch the first two, and that's a wonderful feeling. But I'd choose either of the Deathy Hallows films before the first two, any day. I don't find Part 1 boring, at all. Yeah, it's a set-up, but it's got tons of character work. I love the spectacle of the second half, but the I also loved watching the kids deal with 6 movies worth of baggage. The magic and the special effects are great, but my connection with the characters is even stronger, corny as that may be.

I am also going with Part 1.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the more entertaining movie. It's a perfect introduction to the series. Each character is given ample screen time and fleshed out beautifully by the actors and the script strings together a perfect lineup of memorable scenes and elaborate set pieces. Deathly Hallows Part 1 is good, but it lacks the magic of some of the earlier movies.

I agree with you, JRyneChattanooga. Also: that dance scene with Hermione and Harry feels awkward. I don't know, maybe it was the acting, but it felt really unecessary. And the 3d animation segment felt kind of cheap.

Script for HPSS is terribly weak and timid.Very little directorial flair or style. Classic case of what appears to be bad acting by a young cast actually being a woeful script and lacklustre directing. HPDH is a visual feast, beautiful and varied with a clear style and nicely judged script that brings out the best of the cast. Moody and threatening I have already watched it more than HPSS.

While they were fun to watch back when I was 10-11 years old, and Philosopher's Stone (I refuse to refer to it by its American title) is the better of the two Columbus films, both of them were, in the words of Mark Kermode, "Accountant films"; films designed specifically to make as much money as possible with little regard for quality film making. Granted, it is the second most successful of the series, granted the cast were very young and granted the film was aimed at much younger children than the later ones, but it still doesn't hold up that well in my eyes. HPatDH pt 1 is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. "It's just a set-up movie"; so what? It's still a damn good set-up movie, and given that the original material wasn't the strongest of all the books, I think they did a really good job. To echo rushtonjack and ToryK, it's a visual feast with a lot of character development and the best drama in the series (apart from the last film). Deathly Hallows for me any day.

Definitely with smatticus here. You can't just throw in the argument that 'they're only kids' to cover up an essentially cliched and predictable. Philospher's Stone loses easily.

Old Potter is better than young Potter...

For me, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 is far and away the weakest of the Potter films. It's tedious, almost plotless, with all kinds of pacing problems, and this is also where all the one dimensional of three main characters is most evident. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone also has its issues with pacing and story, but it's still an entertaining and easily recommendable fantasy flick.

Love the whole series, but as most often, the first is the best,

Neither are the worst of the Potter flicks, but Sorcerer's is a favorite of mine.

I don't think these are very good movies, but Sorcerer's Stone is miles more entertaining.

The Philosopher's Stone takes this round easily. Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is one of the worst movies ever made.