Silver Linings Playbook vs. The Perks of Being a Wallflower

2 comments

14 comments

The Perks of Being a Wallflower was my favorite movie from last year. Silver Linings Playbook was my most disappointing. I could write out a very long description of each movie and explain why one works on almost every level where the other fails, but instead I'll just address my favorite dynamic of Perks and the biggest problem I had with Silver Linings: All of the characters in Perks are real people. Each is someone we knew when we were in high school (or someone we were ourselves.) Right down to the more minor characters like Charlie's sister or Ponytail Derek, I felt like I'd known someone exactly like each of them at some point in my life. Adversely, none of the characters in Silver Linings felt real to me. They were each represented as one-dimensional or some generalized problem or mental health issue, and on top of that all of the dialog and interactions between the characters felt forced. I guess I'll have to watch Silver Linings again sometime down the road because I really wanted to like it, I just couldn't relate to it at all.

JRM
JRM

They both deal with emotionally unstable characters, and I believe thy both work on every level. Silver Linings was arguably funnier, but Perks was perhaps the most moving, honest film of 2012.

I thought Perks of Being a Wallflower was OKAY at best. I really don't like how an average teen angst movie is being labeled a 'masterpiece of cinema'. Silver Linings on the other hand, featured great performances, characters and moments.

Perks for me. It captures a moment, it captures a love of music, and does it with style and great performances. I also felt Perks dealt with the mental health aspect better than Silver Linings(which I did enjoy, but not as much as I expected to).

Perks wins for me as well..I didn't like SLP that much, it felt too predictable and yeah. Perks on the other hand, was suprisingly amazing. Only one thing in SLP i enjoyed more, that is Robert de Niro!!!!!!!!!

Got to go with Perks. Silver Linings was good but definitely overrated, especially by the Academy (Jackie Weaver is a good actress but did her performance here really demand a nomination?). Perks was cute, touching and for some reason I was a lot more invested in the story, maybe because the coming-of-age, although somewhat cliché these days, was handled quite well here.

So difficult to choose.. Two of the best movies of 2012 but i give Perks the win.

I'll give the win to Silver Linings, but both are completely solid...

Perks is a more honest film

I saw both for the first time tonight, and I didn't particularly enjoy either. The supposed "realness" of these characters and stories has / had nothing to do with my real. That's not to say that I don't think that the catharsis is valid for others, but it seems to me that so-called great cinema is now pigeon-holed into angsty, "things are tough all over" stories. And while I enjoy emotionally complex stories, the need to trigger emotions through somewhat contrived plotlines seems to me to be contrary to the escapism that I look for when I sit down to watch a movie.

Silver Linings

I would have to go with Perks of Being a Wallflower on this match-up. Silver Linings Playbook was a great movie as well, but I felt more emotion while watching Perks. They're two completely different movies, but yet they still had a lot in common. That made this a difficult match-up.

Silver Linings Playbook was incredible, but if you haven't seen either, you have to see Perks of Being a Wallflower. Silver Linings is just good acting. Wallflower is a great movie that has a beautiful message.

Perks of being a wallflower was honestly the better film

Not even close. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is spot on! It touches on so many issues that teens during the 90s and early 2000s can relate to. Perfection.

Both movies feel somewhat trite to me with their obvious, predictable tropes. But Perks of Being a Wallflower felt far more genuine and heartwarming to me. Silver Linings Playbook just felt like every rom-com trope ever.