Up vs. Toy Story

12 comments

27 comments

Seriously, no discussion on this? Well, I for one have too much love & nostalgia for the original Toy Story. It changed my life. UP is great (And currently #1 on my chart - perhaps not for long), but it's standard work for Pixar. They can crank out perfection time after time, but Toy Story is perfect, and an excellent watch at the same time.

I agree, Pixar is the master of perfection. Though I'm going to pick 'Up' as the winner here. 'Toy Story' really paved the way for computer antimation and is a fantastic film, but 'Up' really moved me emotinally. Not a fault of 'Toy Story' at all, just 'Up' shows how much Pixar has improved on their perfection.

Toy Story for nostalgia, but UP for true brilliance in film-making.

There is a reason that, of the couple movies I happened to own on VHS during my childhood, Toy Story was one of them. Up, I feel, is Pixar at its most mature. Some have gone so far as to call it bleak and depressing, though I do not feel that is the case. On the other hand, Toy Story is animated perfection that become all the more perfect when nostalgia and its time are factored in. Of the two Pixar films not named Toy Story or Toy Story 2, Up is one of the couple I dare call brilliant; however, I dare say it's not perfect. Little things, really, are all that prevent it from attaining perfection, but, in decisions such as this one, what is there but the minutia to sway you one way or the other?

Toy Story is the far superior film. Up Starts off strong, but becomes lame and childish in the second half. Pete Doctor's best movie is still Monsters Inc.

Toy Story paved the way, but Up is the culmination.

Up is great, but Toy Story is a classic.

Toy Story takes this one. Total classic.

Up wishes it was as god as Toy Story. The first 10 minutes of Up is as good as Toy Story, it just didn't follow through.

ear
ear

Toy Story was our childhood personified. Up was the culmination of life personified. You do the math.

Tie-breaker: UP was the worst Pixar movie ever, in my opinion. Very lazy, and possibly a rip-off of a play called UP!: The Man in the Flying Lawnchair (or something like that).

@Protozoid: I'm not sure what you mean by "lazy"....

@Charyou_Tree: I totally agree; I don't find Up "depressing" at all. Yes, it provoked strong emotions. I cried; I laughed; I cried again; I laughed again. I say, when a movie can touch you on so many levels (and do so with audiences of all generations), I say it's brilliant. I love Toy Story as much as the next Pixar fanatic, but as brilliant as it is, I think several of their subsequent films are more so, and Up is one of them.

JRM
JRM

For now, Toy Story. I think.

"Toy Story" is a great story about finding one's place in the world, and it has held up very well over these 15 years. "Up" is flawed--the dogs just don't work for me--but I didn't watch it; I felt it. It gets the nod.

Toy Story wins, don't get me wrong I liked Up but i think it's a bit overrrated.

My two favorite Pixar movies. I had to go with "Up" in the end because it has more emotional weight the older I get. "Toy Story" will always be one of the fondest memories of my childhood but I think it might be best left as a memory.

Toy Story. No contest. Up was self-indulgent and often depressing.

Hah! I scoff at the ease of this click.

Toy Story ftw!

I love both these films. I grew up watching Toy Story, this is why I fell in love with movies. Up and Toy Story take place at the beginning and the end of life (childhood and age). Both evoke different feelings, yet they both come to one thing, their animated and we couldn't ask for anything better.

I love Toy Story but I also love Up. I'm still going with Toy Story.

Love 'em both...but this one really isn't that close...

Tough one, Up is a great flick but I don't think it's as classic as Toy Story.

They're both great movies, but Toy Story wins by a landslide

Toy Story Wins. Up Is really good, with a brilliant sad beginning but as the story goes on and we meet those talking flying dogs, who sort of ruin the realistic sweet innocent tone of the film set from the beginning, it takes a slight turn. While Toy Story is just perfect in every single way and is Pixar's Masterpiece (along with the rest of the trilogy) and started the Pixar Legacy, compared to this, Up is just another of Pixar's averagely great films but Toy Story Is Unbeatable.

Toy Story: 9/10 Up: 11/10

Pixar will probably never top the three Toy Story films, but you know what I'm fine with that. As long as they keep making amazing movies like they have been doing for the past 18 years.

Toy Story is way, waaay better. Up is a great instalment in Pixar's collection, but Toy Story goes beyond brilliance.

Toy Story is great, but Up is brilliant.

This is rediculously hard, as Toy Story is my number 3, and Up my number 2. So Up I guess, but when are they gonna make a Garfield 3? Complete the trilogy, filmmakers!

A Smurfs 3 is more likely. What's up with Sony and 20th Century Fox shitting all this live action CGI crap over our childhood? It needs to stop. I mean, what's next, Hong Kong Phooey? Wacky Races? Droopy? The Snorks? Anyway, Up is my favorite Pixar film, while the first Toy Story isn't even my favorite Toy Story film (both sequels are better in my eyes).

I love both. Two of my favourite Pixar films, however Toy Story has the slight edge because I loved it growing up and still do. I usually don't judge films by the nostalgia-factor, but I can't resist here.

Toy Story easily

Up is just to bizarre not to pick really.

Up is my favorite Pixar film,so going with that

Argh, don't do this to me...

TS.

UP is for now, Toy Story is for ever

Toy Story for nostalgia, i love all Pixar films, Cars 2 included, but i only like Brave

Both are excellent movies, but Toy Story wins out here.

Haters of Up may disagree with me, but while I adore Toy Story it's Up for me - it's my second favorite Pixar behind Toy Story 3. Frankly, I don't care how many talking dogs they put in - I love it just the same.

I'm too old for this shit.

Up is emotionally great and very creative but, my God, does the main conflict feel so forced! Almost like an afterthought to make the movie more than just an old man moving his house to the top of a cliff. Everything fits into place with Toy Story making it practically perfect so it wins bere!

Two great movies but Up is one of few movies that I cried

These movies are both really overrated, and neither are among Pixar's best. However, while Up is amazing only in a few parts, and is overall just a pretty good kids movie, Toy Story remains great throughout, especially in its climax. Toy Story is funnier, has better characters, and has a more investing plot. Up is often overshadowed by its opening, and the rest of the movie's relative mediocrity is often ignored. Toy Story is just a stronger overall film.