Star Trek: Nemesis vs. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

1 comments

1 comments

STAR TREK, STAR TREK. Here's the thing. Nothing happens in The Search for Spock. Except for Christopher Lloyd. But listen, Star Trek III could have been a prologue, not an entire movie. Except for "Klingon Bastards, killed my son." That's the only good scene. And Kirk blows up the Enterprise in a clever ploy to kill Klingon Christopher Lloyd's crew and even the odds. What I'm saying is that that's a good part of the movie because it makes sense. But nothing happens, you see. And Kirstie Alley is replaced by some noname Vulcan bitch. As if we couldn't notice. But let's table all of that. All that is true. That being said, Nemesis isn't good. There's dune buggies for no reason, and Data is killed but not quite killed. He's killed and then a new model is activated. A reset button is hit on him, which is bullshit. Star Trek gets only so many reset buttons, and reset #836 on Data is a few hundred too many. I will say this. I havn't seen Nemesis since 2002 when I saw it in theaters. I'll also say this. The Search for Spock is boring. I can't remember how boring Nemisis is. But I do remember it's full of bullshit. But there's explosions. Both of the villains are kind of good but kind of bullshit at the same time. Having Christopher Lloyd play a noname Klingon with a chip on his shoulder is kind of a good follow up to Khan. Like it's not Khan 2.0, it's different. But it's not great, just different. He wants the Genesis device because he's a madman and he wants to blow things up. I think. He wants it because he's evil. Okay. But the bad man in Nemesis wants... something... because he's just evil too. What does he want? To convert Picard to the dark side or something? I can't quite remember. He does have a shaved head though, and that's just silly. I think he's King of the Romulans but he's Picard's clone so he wants to kill Picard for no reason. Basically it's stupid. Search for Spock wins because the villain makes sense.

"Nothing happens" in Star Trek III? Kirk and co. disobey orders and hijack the Enterprise to return Spock's soul to his resurrected body...and "nothing happens"? Okay... Nemesis is about a clone of Picard (a human) genetically engineered by the Romulans, but then raised by the Nosferatu-like Remans. Why he's got a vendetta against the Romulans is perfectly understandable; why he has a vendetta against Earth is unclear. There are many pieces of Nemesis that could have worked, but when they come together as a whole, the movie is lacking. Obviously, Data's "return" in the form of the other android, B-4 (what a witty name), is meant as a Spock-like ray of hope for the grieving audience. Whatever. Nemesis is a very hit-and-miss (unfortunately, more miss) film, but Star Trek III is an entertaining and appropriately dark middle chapter to Trek's great trilogy. No contest.