Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 vs. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

15 comments

6 comments

I was a big Harry Potter fan when I was younger, and these are the worst entries in the series by far. Walked out of Half Blood Prince when it was half way and felt that I missed something (an entire movie) with Part 1 of the Deathly Hallows. So which one would I rather watch? I think 6, that one is the better movie of the two in structure. But hated both, Yates is not the right guys for these movies.

Half-Blood Prince is possibly the weakest movie in the Harry Potter series, but Yates and the rest of the bunch redeemed themselves with Deathly Hallows: Part 1. In fact, it's easily the best Harry Potter movie directed by Yates thus far, and a vast improvement over the last two films. Deathly Hallows: Part 1 isn't as great as Prisoner of Azkaban, but I had kind of expected that; I'm just glad they stayed relatively close to the book and captured the spirit of Harry's, Ron's and Hermione's journey. I'm definitely looking forward to Part 2, it should be even more exciting. It probably won't be as good as Prisoner of Azkaban, either, but Yates is no CuarĂ³n, anyway.

I'll have to give this some distance as I just saw Deathly Hallows: Part 1 today but as of this moment it's my favorite in the series. I though Half Blood and Azkaban were the weakest.

Deathly Hallows because it's the last of the seres.

PFV
PFV

Deathly Hallows was a bit more dramatic, and grown-up, not that half-blood prince wasn't good. Personally though, my favorites are the Columbus films, because they had such a magical feel to them. But enough of that. Winner, Deathly Hallows.

PFV
PFV

Also, you shouldn't just say "it's the last of the [series]," because it's no measure of quality.

PFV
PFV

Also, I absolutely hated Order of the Phoenix.

I'm a little baffled by the hate that I've seen both receive from some people. Out of the six released so far, these two rank one and two for me, one being The Half-Blood Prince and two being The Deathly Hallows: Part 1. I might be a little biased, though, on account of The Half-Blood Prince also being my favorite book in the series (and The Deathly Hallows being my second favorite). Anyway, I have to choose The Half-Blood Prince. The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 really was quite good, but I couldn't help but think about how much better the second part will be when I was watching it. It just felt like a breather. A rather enjoyable breather, but a breather nonetheless. So, for that reason, I'm a little biased against it, as well.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't read the books. The differences between the films and the books seem to be where some of the fuss is coming from, but as I haven't read them, the differences don't bother me. Actually, I've loved them all. That's right, I said loved. Some more than others, but I still love them. I've been watching them since I was 11 and I'm 21 now. They're like my Star Wars. And Deathly Hallows has been my favorite. It's was downright fucking beautiful in some parts, I think. I'm both excited and sad that I'm *THIS* close to the ending because it's been a hell of a ride for me. So yeah, I'm a little baffled on this one, myself.

Deathly Hallows part 1 followed the book really good. Half Blood Prince left out a few things and changed it up a bit. With saying that, Deathly Hallows is the better movie

JRM
JRM

I could see why those who have read the books could be disappointed by Half-Blood Prince as there are numerous changes and it left out key elements, as well as the intense battle in the end. However, it's a great stand alone film, imo. It's my third favorite entry in Harry Potter movie series (Also my third favorite book now that I think about it). But Deathly Hallows was even better (probably my favorite film in the series, with Prisoner of Azkaban at a close second); it really captured the feel of the book and everyone seemed to be at the top of their game. Not just a great film, but a great adaption of the first half of the book. Part 2 is going to be incredible and will without a doubt be the best movie in the series as it should bring on the incredible action, tension and, perhaps best of all, the emotional kicks the book revealed. For those who haven't read the books -- it's never too late. They're seriously far superior than the films and I can't stress that enough.

Half-blood Prince was my favourite in the film series, after Prisoner of Azkaban. It's a stronger film than Hallows pt 1 in nearly every way.

HBP was visually stunning; in that respect, it and especially Azkaban were the best of the series. But HP1 is probably my favorite overall so far. I certainly have the least to gripe about with it, in terms of adaptations. Overall, Yates is doing a fine job bringing the series to a close.

Hallows Part 1. I will say this; Half-Blood Prince is the funniest of the series. I was laughing my ass off at some of that character based humor.

While I don't enjoy the movies nearly as much as the books, I'll go with Hallows on this one.

I am a big fan of Harry Potter movies. My recent watch was "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows". I really liked this movies. I have read its books also and its a masterpiece. I usually watch movies online on http://online-movies.cona.in

I liked them both, last time I saw them, but I think because part 1 feels too much like a prelude (which is what it is really), I'll have to go with the Half Blood Prince.

This is rediculously difficult. But Half-Blood Prince wins because it was more complete, despite all the awesome bits in Deathly Hallows I.

Just like movies, these two are very good, but as adaptations of the best novels in the series, HBP and DH1 disappointing. Although I liked the cave scene and the opening of both movies. Effects are very good in both films, soundtracks too(I was disappointed by sparse use of Hedwig's theme in DH1. ), but HBP cinematography is much better. So I choose HBP!!!

Half Blood Prince is the winner by a mile

The Half Blood Prince. It actually has a beginning, middle, and end.

Half-Blood Prince is my favourite book in the series, but the movie, while still enjoyable, I found really disappointing. It had some cool sequences, but the tone of the movie was all over the place, and the plot moved really slowly. Deathly Hallows Part 1 actually really worked for me. It adapted the source material in a way that was both faithful and exciting. It wasn't perfect, the ending was a little sudden and didn't resonate emotionally like it was supposed to, but it was still a fun ride, and far superior, I think, to Half-Blood Prince.

Everyone says that the franchise started to decline after Yates took over but, in my mind, the franchise only got better! Half Blood Prince is very good but the teenage love-drama stuff lowers it a little for me. Deathly Hallows Part 1 may be my favourite of the lot!

part 1