Black Swan vs. The Wrestler

7 comments

4 comments

The Wrestler.

I've been feeling so moved watching Black Swan, which is in my opinion a bit more "initimist" than The Wrestler, like "live what she lived", with these three very intense "looks to camera", etc. As (s)he said as a last line : "It was perfect" !

I found Black Swan to be an overrated film. Whereas, The Wrestler deserved all the praise it has generated. Plus, lowering judgement to a very swallow level, Marisa Tomei showing the goods trumps all the tease of Black Swan.

Black Swan over the The Wrestler. Aronofsky certainly enjoys putting his leads through it. Though in many ways, The Wrestler is better (its certainly got better dialogue), and it's far more muted when compared to Black Swan's melodrama, the ending fails to satisfy. Randy the Ram gets put through the emotional wringer building to the final fight, but that fails to convey the catharsis it so clearly represents. Something that cannot be laid at the door of Black Swan which definitely pays off.

Well, I prefer professional wrestling over the ballet, so I'm going with The Wrestler.

I go back and forth on this one, but today, I'm feeling the Wrestler.

"The Wrestler" is easily My favorite movie ever. It's crazy how "Black Swan" got so much credit over this one. I do love every single movie i watched from Aronofsky but this is the real deal. Tomei was great and even got award credits for her amazing performance but Rourke here is just...flawless. I never saw a comeback bigger to this movie to any actor.

I read that these movies should be sold together. Or at least be viewed on the same night, for it's an interesting take by Aronofski on physical sacrifice, a common theme in his movies. I've recently bought The Wrestler for a steal, but have yet to watch it. Black Swan blew me away and is in my opinion on of the best movies of the last couple of years. So I can't wait to compare it to The Wrestler.

It is pretty close, but I like the pacing of Black Swan a bit better. Every scene felt like it had more to do with the main theme, whereas the Wrestler spent too long on meaningless story.

Black Swan is definitely the more stylized film.

Black Swan is easily my favorite from Aronofsky. I like The Wrestler a lot too, but Black Swan wins here.