Top Gun: Maverick vs. Top Gun

6 comments

2 comments

Sequel shoots down the original

Great sequel to a classic. Best one two punch separated by years that's ever been.

JRM
JRM

Sequel exceeds the original in every way except for, perhaps, the love plot line. Maverick is sensational.

The more I think about it, both these films have a near identical set of highs and lows, mainly because the sequel is almost a carbon copy of the original in story beats up until the final act. So when I think about the problems that Top Gun Maverick has (cringe dialogue, pacing issues, cliched story beats which you can see coming from a mile away), the original had all of those as well, but it tends to get a pass on nostalgia. That being said, they are both very enjoyable, but I will give a slight edge to the sequel for having a recognisable end goal to build towards and then absolutely nailing the finale, which the original doesn't manage quite as well.

Top Gun: Maverick is like if the first movie was good.

Was not a fan if the first movoe at all. I honestly don't get why so many love it. The sequel in my opinion is so mich better in every aspect.

I didn't like either movies that much tbh... The first one barely edges it out for me.

The first is the apotheosis of Tony Scott's humid fast cutting style and sensibility and might also serve as the best example as such of a blockbuster that seems influenced by early MTV era and the cinematic grammar of music videos. But it is also a character piece and ensemble that takes its time in the manner of 1970s Hollywood. And it only gets better on rewatch. The sequel's finale is more properly built towards and coherent but otherwise while a truly great sequel, I'm almost more impressed by it as a love letter to Tony Scott himself above all. * *Wong Kar Wai's first feature As Tears Go By contains perhaps an even more loving full "parody" sequence of Top Gun with a cover of Take My Breath Away in Mandarin.