Jaws vs. Alligator

3 comments

0 comments

This is not even a fair fight. Jaws blows the competition out of the water in every way and if Steven Spielberg's blockbuster classic never reached the screen, Alligator would have never been produced.

While I agree that Jaws is the better film of the two, Alligator is severely underrated. First of all, it features Robert Forster and secondly, the script was written by John Sayles who has a knack for horror movies. (The Howling & Piranha are two films he wrote the screenplay for.) That being said, Jaws became something more than a movie. It became part of the cultural landscape and ushered in "The Summer Blockbuster" film.

I do need to see Alligator again but next to something as towering as Jaws it's hard to give it anything but harsh criticism. They were both made on tight budgets but they produced two very different results.

I do need to see Alligator again but next to something as towering as Jaws it's hard to give it anything but harsh criticism. They were both made on tight budgets but they produced two very different results.