A View to a Kill vs. Octopussy

3 comments

2 comments

Both equally poor Bond films and both have Roger Moore looking far too old for the role....hard one. I'll go with A View to a Kill for Christopher Walken's OTT performance. and the great Patrick McNee.

Bondathon continues...: A View to a Kill vs. Octopussy. Hm...I'm not so sure where to place AVTAK on my list. Because let's face it: it is bad. Moore is too old, the Bondgirls can't really act, Christopher Walken as the villain is bland and has basically the same plans as Auric Goldfinger, the action is not that great and the movie is often boring. Meh, at least the theme is awesome and it is fun to spot actors in the background, like an 18-year old(!) Alison Doody aka Elsa from Last Crusade and even Dolph Lundgren makes a very short appearance. Not much left to say about AVTAK, it's just not good. Octopussy is more enjoyable. Looking back at Moore's Bond movies, about half of his movies are bad. 1 is great, 1 is good, 1 is okay, 3 are bad and 1 is so bad it's good. Moore as Bond was a lot of fun to see though, even when he wasn't as great as Sean Connery in his early career (pre-You only live twice). Although he made a handful of shitty Bond movies, Moore was a great Bond.

The cast is disappointing in AVTAK (except Patrick Macnee, giving one of the most charismatic performances in the series) but the story is actually pretty solid. Plus, the score is great. The cast is better in OP, but its story is too convoluted and gag-centric.

I really like both of these to be honest, but I've gotta go with A View to a Kill. It is my second favorite from Moore.

I have 9 James Bond films in my top 100. A View To A Kill is my biggest guilty pressure, it features what I love about the franchise but is so darn ridiculous. Octopussy is one of my favourite of the series and definitely the most underrated one.

Ugh, Timothy Dalton couldn't come along fast enough.