The Searchers vs. All About Eve

0 comments

1 comments

The last time I watched "All About Eve" (my third viewing total) I was less impressed than I had been the first two times. Something about the ending rubs me the wrong way, with Bette Davis's character seeming to abandon her prior aspirations in favor of a role as a woman and a wife. The George Sanders character's treatment of Eve at the end is also a bit overdone and uncomfortable. It's still a great movie overall, but I'm no longer as enamored by it as I was when I first saw it. The Searchers, on the other hand, grows better with each viewing, as the script reveals new layers of potential meaning on a wide variety of big issues. The reversal of Natalie Wood's character's attitude toward her former life is not particularly satisfying, but the more significant moment -- the reversal of John Wayne's character toward Natalie Wood -- is the more important one, and it is very satisfying indeed.

Given my cinematic tastes, The Searchers is a movie I should like, while All About Eve is one I shouldn't. Yet, the opposite is the case for both. Now, I am starting to understand why The Searchers gets the praise it does, but I still don't find the film all that good. All About Eve, however, is a blast. Fasten your seat belts...