Apocalypse Now vs. Pulp Fiction

17 comments

18 comments

GOD DAMN IT

tough. gotta go Pulp here...

The hardest choice I've made so far.

These are the choices that are fun to make.

Funny enough, Apocalypse Now used to be criticized for the same things Pulp Fiction was: nihilism, masturbation, lack of subtlety, anti-climactic, lazy. But now that Pulp Fiction has arrived, the worth of Francis Coppola's film is finally put in perspective: a great film, of immense value, utterly eclipsing Tarantino's sophomoric stab at making art. Expect it to be forgotten, while Apocalypse Now continues to gain stature.

Hey everybody, look at me!! I'm a super-hip suave-ass motherfucker who understands the nature of the art of film in ways that are deeper and more meaningful than any of you could possibly hope to comprehend, because I have the courage to dislike Quentin Tarantino. Because my understanding of art in all its forms is so far advanced from yours, allow me to describe for you, in great detail and through liberal use of overly didactic language, what future generations of art critics will think of recent films, and also why the opinions of past art critics are utterly, entirely, totally, completely, and utterly false. Firstly- - - - oh, wait, it looks like Protozoid has beat me to it. Nevermind, I guess I'll just give this to Pulp Fiction.

'Expect it to be forgotten'...Ha, that's great. I've got to go with Pulp Fiction too.

Overly didactic? You do understand the nature of this website, right? Is there anything more didactic than choosing between one of two films and then debating that choice? And how can I comment and not react to what I've already read? Sorry if you dislike my tone, or if I offended your taste -- I was just trying to point out something that I perceive. At the risk of sounding pretentious, that Tarantino is a proud post-modernist filmmaker who believes that all opinions and values are equal. The irony of having my opinion attacked by Tarantino fans never ceases to amaze me...

Pulp Fiction for me. Though both are amazing.

Seb
Seb

Protozoid probably has these extended responses drafted by his English professor at harvard multiple times before he is satisfied with it's publication on an informal movie ranking website

Theres no way Apocalypse Now can beat the irresistibly classical Pulp Fiction which is not as controversial and lauded as its opponent on this discussion.

Change of mind, Apocalypse Now for sure.

Recently rewatched Pulp Fiction, and bumping it way up on my flickchart, but not quite above Apocalypse Now.

Pulp Fiction murders Apocalypse Now.

Pulp Fiction. Domination...

LMAO! People getting butthurt at Protozoid's honest comment.

"overly didactic language" I doesn't git big werds like "lazy" and "immense" and "and"

the anti-intellectualism here is pathetic

I don't know... the comment may be "honest", but is it actually correct? It's easy to say one film will be forgotten and so on. People do it all the time. I doubt Pulp Fiction will be forgotten. Apocalypse Now has heavy-handed narration that gets on my nerves. It tries so hard to make a statement about war that it becomes silly. Not to say that it doesn't have great moments of artistic merit. I just don't see the point in totally dismissing Pulp Fiction as though it somehow will diminish as Apocalypse Now rises. Are they in anyway connected? No.

Pulp Fiction. A hard movie to beat.

Apocalypse Now is the better film.

Apocalypse Now, an outstanding film.

Two movies which share spots in my top 10, but only one is in my top 5...

Pulp Fiction. I don't consider Apocalypse Now to be considered the classic that people call it. It's alright, with some great performances and some awesome moments, but looking back, ask yourself: was it that great? Pulp Fiction wins with ease.

1979's Apocalypse Now And 1994's Pulp Fiction Are Both Better Movies.

Two absolutely incredible, yet very different films. One is atmospheric and hypnotic, the other is absurdly entertaining and original. PF wins.

AN totally slaughters PF

Pulp Fiction easily

I pick Pulp Fiction

Shoot guys, Pulp Fiction is nowhere near Apocalypse tbh. Not that it's a bad movie, it's a good movie but Apocalypse Now is legendary.

Love both but apocalypse now is far instant better here.

Apocalypse Now easily

Apocalypse Now in every particular way

Francis Ford Coppola > Quentin Tarantino (No disrespect to Tarantino)

Pretty damn close, though I would have to say Apocalypse Now is the better movie.

Apocalypse Now takes this effort.

Apocalypse now in my opinion is just a much deeper more powerful and harrowing movie. It's definitely slower paced but that makes it all the more tense and raw when action does occur. Pulp Fiction will be remembered forever, Protozoid is wrong about it being forgotten, however after watching it once I feel there isn't really a need to watch it again. It's immensely entertaining, beautifully shot, each shot looks like it's from a comic but there isn't really a reason thematically or narratively for a lot of the plot, Marcellus being raped, Vega shooting the kid accidentally, it's a series of short stories with characters that intersect it's interesting exciting, unique and surprising but it's more style than substance. Meanwhile Apocalypse Now is the greatest War Movie ever made. Just the beginning with Martin Sheen smashing his fist against the mirror feels so raw, mainly because he actually did that. The whole movie builds toward his confrontation with Colonel Kurtz and I think the movie hinges on how people feel about those interactions. Personally the movie was always really good but after Laurence Fishburne died and they arrive at the island it felt like they had finally reached hell itself. The island is far more disturbing than anything I have seen in any horror movie and the ending actually makes the audience question their own morality and how they would approach the situation. For these reasons I consider Apocalypse Now to be far superior.

Apocalypse Now wins this

Pulp may be more fun to watch and rewatch but Pulp is a very shallow movie in meaning. ANOW is a movie of great complexity . ANOW has the far better story and better atmosphere. ANOW is too legend and wins.