Alien³ vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

0 comments

2 comments

Two films frequently regarded as the "black sheep" of their respective franchises (though I suppose that depends on who you ask with The Two Towers, since I know a healthy number of people who declare it the best of the trilogy). That being said, I have a lot of time for both; I've repeatedly defended Alien3 as a solid, albeit flawed film on this website, and my opinion has not changed on that. After all, I could name plenty of objectively worse things to come out of the Alien franchise (Alien Resurrection, AVP, AVP2, pretty much every comic and novel/novelization/fan-fiction (though most of the published books are basically legitimised fan-fiction anyway, so I guess all the fictional literature comes under the one umbrella term) and not to mention a multitude of videogames, including the unforgivable Aliens: Colonial Marines). That said, Lord of the Rings is probably my favourite series of films ever made, and all of them would easily beat the Alien films in my eyes, this being no exception. A win for the Two Towers.

I've read the original proposed script written by William Gibson, and I must say, it definitely didn't disappoint. The story felt fresh, unique and it was a bold new step in the franchise. Instead they decided to go with much weaker screenplay that battle rewrites, budget cuts and having to match the standards of its predecessors. I am still happy with the end-result, though. I'm also in the minority of people who genuinely enjoyed Alien 3. Granted it isn't up there with Finchie's masterpieces, but it still manages to provide a level of entertainment. Its opponent is a bonafide classic though, so Lt. Rip' and Co. don't stand a chance whatsoever. The way Jackson executed his middle act was absolutely astounding, from the soundtrack to the battles, to the characters, to the set pieces, everything was great.