Alien³ vs. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

2 comments

2 comments

3rd Harry Potter vs 3rd Alien film. Though much maligned by almost everyone else in the world apart from a few close friends and Jim Sterling of the Jimquisition, I really like Alien3. I consider it to be one of the most underrated films I have ever seen, and would probably put it fairly high up on a list of "films i love which everyone else hates", were I to copy Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic). That said, Azkaban is certainly the more coherent and less problematic, so it just wins out here.

^What's your view on the theatrical cut vs. the "assembly" cut though? I'll probably give the film a watch soon, but I keep hearing how much of an improvement the latter cut is.

I haven't seen the Assembly Cut either (don't have any Alien boxsets), and like you I have heard that it is a major improvement over the theatrical cut. I don't know if I'll like it considerably more since I already consider Alien3 an admirable effort in its own right, though I am really keen to see it. I think there are two crucial points to bear in mind with regard to my enjoyment of it: 1) I am not nearly as emotionally invested in Aliens as other people, therefore I didn't find the major plot points in the first act of the film especially insulting, and 2) While I admit that the execution of the original Alien3 is problematic, I really appreciate the effort that was put in in many departments (shitty CGI aside); acting, cinematography, set design and especially music (Elliot Goldenthal's score is probably the best in the entire Alien Saga).

very imussed that's how possible getting simple in HP PoA it had some of the most areas to descober only way the right way A 3 can't just had most expired what ever should go count the alion specie can have