The Artist vs. Drive

2 comments

11 comments

God this one is a tough call. Probably my two favorite films of 2011 with Shame in third place.

Which one starred Grace Jones? Yeah, I won't be voting for that one.

Oops. My bad.

Both great movies in their own way. Both had great music and great acting to them. Drive is the better film. It blew me away.

One is a cheap gimmick, the other is an artistic tour de force.

I loved The Artist but found Drive to be an overrated over-hyped acting exercise. It's not even close for me, The Artist by a mile.

The Artist is very good, but it's confection. It's a very sweet, very lovable imitation of a film from the silent era, but it doesn't really go any further than that. Drive is one of the best-directed films of the year, features terrific performances from Brooks and Gosling and is superbly shot and edited. The choice is clear: Drive.

The Artist is endlessly charming and lovable, and I'll be happy for it when it wins all those Oscars (as long as Bejo doesn't win) but Drive is the better film in my mind. I disagree with the statements about the acting, because to me the film was an exercise in style, tone, and direction more so than anything. Nobody is awful, but everything is in service of Nicolas Winding Refn. So rich, textured, and unique. I loved it more so than anything else in this horribly mediocre year for film.

Drive.Drive.Drive.Drive.Drive.

UGH! I hate this matchup, but I'll do it for the sake that the Oscars practically ignored Drive. the Artist has magnificent potential, I only wish it hadn't stuck to simple melodramatics, but it was all it could do. Drive, yes it was slow at parts, but the opening sequence, the music, the acting, especially in Carey Mulligan and Albert Brooks' cases, and the overall mise-en-scene is perfect. In my top 20 for a reason.

Drive, the Artist is good and all but it wasn't even the best movie nominated for best picture in the oscars. Drive is the better film, the Artist would have been totally different and would have blown me away if he killed himself but he didn't they had to end it happy, while Drive is an analysis of the human condition, what drives us and so much more. The Artist is just entertainment. Drive all the way.

I am at a loss to explain why DRIVE is such a significant film for me. I've probably seen it 20 times now, and have the soundtrack on infinite repeat. I can understand that some people don't "get" the movie. I'm not sure I completely get it myself, but something about it's visual poetry, startling violence and quiet lead character hypnotises me every time. I enjoyed the ARTIST a lot, but not nearly on the same level.

I got charmed by "Drive" from the moment the opening credits popped up 'till the rightful end,but let's face it,Gosling stars a revamped formula of a very old gimmick. "The Artist", brought back some elements that were totally lost in the industry,and a movie that ran opposite side than the opposition.

I liked The Artist, but not enthusiastically so. I enjoyed Drive more.

Both were amazing, but Drive remains the best of 2011, hands down.

I like Drive more, but the Artist is arguably one of the highest quality silent films ever made.

The Artist was fun, but I like Drive much more.