Good Burger vs. Kate and Leopold

0 comments

3 comments

I feel like I'm choosing between two misbehaving but much-loved children with this pairing. I think I enjoyed Good Burger more than the average person would largely because I didn't get cable television in my home until well after Keenan and Kel had hit their peak, but before I was too old to just not care about them. The movie was a fun and delightful romp and proved a perfect storm of slapstick mixed with fun music and sitcom actors of the 80's. Kate and Leopold became a self-fulfilling prophecy for me in that I joked throughout 2001 that anything marginally good was fine, "But it was no Kate and Leopold." Then I came upon a copy used at a Blockbuster and found that I had unwittingly been charmed by the too-good-for-this movie Hugh Jackman. Jackman shilling for "Rich creamery" butter only slightly edges out the Vigoda factor to edge out Good Burger.

I didn't have cable at all as a child and had never been exposed to Keenan and Kel before some friends got me to watch Good Burger in college. Maybe that's the reason I didn't care for it much at all; it struck me as really dumb, especially as we watched it back-to-back with Frank Capra's You Can't Take It With You, a movie that's both hilarious and charming. In truth, it annoys me a bit that Good Burger has been tagged as a screwball comedy here on Flickchart, because I love screwballs and don't see Good Burger as fitting within the genre at all. Anyway. I really like Kate and Leopold, and don't understand all the hate it attracts. Sure, Meg Ryan's just doing her usual shtick, but Breckin Meyer is pretty good as her brother, Liev Schrieber's monologues are hilarious, and of course Hugh Jackman runs away with the entire movie. Certainly better than your average rom-com.

I didn't have cable at all as a child and had never been exposed to Keenan and Kel before some friends got me to watch Good Burger in college. Maybe that's the reason I didn't care for it much at all; it struck me as really dumb, especially as we watched it back-to-back with Frank Capra's You Can't Take It With You, a movie that's both hilarious and charming. In truth, it annoys me a bit that Good Burger has been tagged as a screwball comedy here on Flickchart, because I love screwballs and don't see Good Burger as fitting within the genre at all. Anyway. I really like Kate and Leopold, and don't understand all the hate it attracts. Sure, Meg Ryan's just doing her usual shtick, but Breckin Meyer is pretty good as her brother, Liev Schrieber's monologues are hilarious, and of course Hugh Jackman runs away with the entire movie. Certainly better than your average rom-com.