Cars vs. A Bug's Life

4 comments

9 comments

JRM
JRM

Pixar's weakest? A Bug's Life was better, though. I loved it when I was younger, but I don't think it holds up to the masterpieces. Still, it's better than Cars -- which I also liked a lot.

ear
ear

Get the Bugs off my windshield.

A Bug's Life gets a bad wrap, because it is far from Pixar's worst film so far. Cars, on he other hand doesn't ever quite rise up the level of the rest of the series, but is a servicable children's film.

Pixar's weakest? Yes. Weak? No. These two are both better than the majority of animated films I've seen. And they're about equal in my eyes. A Bugs Life has a better story, though. And it doesn't involve cars, either. Unlike most boys, I didn't have a cars phase. I collected some Hot Wheels, but I was really just getting every Porsche I could find because that's the car I've always wanted. I never even owned one of the tracks. And I definitely never got into Nascar or any other form of car-racing. But, it's not like I enjoyed Cars in spite of all this. It wasn't that big a factor in my opinion of the film. If I had had a car phase, I might have liked Cars that much more. But, really, though, I only mention it because these two are so close that I can only put A Bug's Life over Cars on account of such minor qualms.

A Bug's Life. I have not seen Cars 2, but I can say that of Pixar's first ten features there is not a weak one in the bunch. A Bug's Life is a witty, fast-paced and beautifully animated adventure that does not disappoint. Cars is perhaps a less than universally enjoyable family entertainment, but it still has a strong story, interesting and lovable characters, and glorious animation. A Bug's Life wins my vote because I feel it's the funnier film and it has a stronger hero/villain dynamic, which makes for some great action later in the movie. Flik for the win!

Bug's Life owns Cars. I agree with most of those above...Flik and company are way underrated in Pixar lore...

I thought a bugs life was pretty awesome

Bug's Life. It may not have the emotional power of Toy Story or Up, but it's still the greater film over Cars. It was my least favorite Pixar film.

Both have been slammed as the two weakest films in Pixar's collection (before Brave and Cars 2 came out). I disagree with the Bug's Life being the weakest because it is one of the best animations of all time.

Two of Pixars weakest which means that they are still amazing. I slightly prefer Cars.

A Bug's Life wins in my book, but both are great.

A Bug's Life

It BUGS me that people think Cars is better :)

Both borrow heavily from other sources, and both are among Pixar's weakest efforts. What separates them is A Bug's Life's menagerie of fun, memorable characters. While I still love Cars, the only character who stands out for me is Mater, who's actually my favorite part of both Cars movies, believe it or not. A Bug's Life is an ensemble film and I have a certain fondness for every member of that ensemble, feeling even the minor characters set themselves apart more than most of Cars' main characters. For that reason, A Bug's Life wins.

Please, Cars is garbage. A Bug's Life wins by an infinite amount.

A Bug's Life had better characters and ideas than Pixar's black sheep.

Cars smash Bugs.

Cars is much better

Cars by far

These are both bottom tier Pixar movies. They're both uninspired, boring, lack any emotional investment, and aren't funny. Surprisingly enough, both have great villains. But I think Cars barely wins this, because at least it's not a predictable, done to death liar revealed plot. At least Lightning McQueen has a character arc. At least Cars has a few touching scenes. A Bug's Life is only saved by Hopper and the circus bugs. At the end of the day though, they both suck.