The Sting vs. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

10 comments

8 comments

So, at long last I finally come to the Newman/Redford match. "The Sting" is clever and sophisticated, but "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" is a masterpiece on an entirely different level.

Newman/Redford with director George Roy Hill in two of the greatest, most entertaining movies ever made. As great as The Sting is, though, I have to go with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as the deeper, more lasting work.

I have to agree both of them are so great but Butch Cassidy is just a little bit better.

ear
ear

Butch Cassidy is the film I keep revisiting. I love it......

I loved The Sting and didn't think it could be topped but I just watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and I have to say I loved every moment of it. Redford and Newman are easily my favorite acting duo. The chemistry they have together is unmatched.

Someone has to come and support The Sting in this matchup, and that someone is me. I think Butch Cassidy just scraped the surface of the Newman/Redford tandem -- they were a well-oiled machine in The Sting. It's brilliant on so many levels, and Butch Cassidy is just a slightly above average film.

I loved 'Butch Cassidy' but I don't watch it much anymore. I think it's childish. I could never follow the storyline of the Sting but the production design is pretty and there's always Robert Redford. But I think I prefer Butch for sentimental reasons.

Incredibly hard to choose. Gonna have to go with the best soundtrack to a movie ever

Very, very close. Newman and Redford were a great duo. The Sting is more polished, I think. It's tighter and more well-rounded.

Both of these are in desperate need of re-watching (it's been a little over a year since I saw both), but from what I remember of both, I liked The Sting more in almost every way.

I did not connect much wiht either film but found the Sting more enjoyable. Butch had a great script and nice cinematography at times (especially the 'Raindrops keep fallin' on my head' sequence) but I didnt connect with it. I found the Sting a lot more enjoyable but must re-watch Butch sometime

Newman and Redford have great chemistry in both but I enjoyed the Sting way, WAY more.

Butch Cassidy. But it is damn close....

Butch Cassidy for me as well. Both are completely solid.

Two great Hill/Redford/Newman collaborations. I watched both for the first time in the last two days and I loved both. Its a damn close one, but I thing I'll go with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I love their chemistry in Butch Cassidy a bit more, but The Sting is a better movie overall

The Sting has the slightest of edges.

The Sting is just such a great film. Butch Cassidy is just good.

Butch has its moments. It's probably the better looking movie (well, at least in terms of cinematography--I think The Sting wins for production design and costumes) and I like that Newman has more screen time in it. But I was bored by stretches of it, and I'm not sure it would be much of anything if it weren't for Redford and Newman. The Sting, on the other hand, is a superbly plotted film by any standards, and Robert Shaw makes for a great villain. And the relationship between Gondorff and Hooker is so much more complicated and interesting, in my opinion, than the standard "buddy" pairing in the earlier film.