Spellbound vs. Notorious

2 comments

5 comments

Most people would probably pick Notorious here, but I'll go with Spellbound. I think it has a more interesting plot, a better score, and a better chemistry between the two main protagonists. The only thing which is much better in Notorious is the ending, because it's intense, and not as rushed as in Spellbound.

Spellbound did have a great score, I'll give you that, along with a few great scenes and twists. And it was notable in starting Hitchcock and Bergman's three-picture run. But I've always found the young Greg Peck a bit wooden in the film -- Hitch wanted Joseph Cotten, I believe -- and the psychobabble is ridiculous. The real low point of the film is when we are visually shown the doors opening to Bergman's heart. Laughable! Notorious is a much more subtle and artistic film, with brilliant dialogue from Ben Hecht (who was, admittedly, also involved in the writing of Spellbound) and some of the best chemistry EVER between Grant and Bergman (I can't see what the other commentator felt was lacking here).

Notorious is undoubtedly the better Hitchcock film starring Ingrid Bergman.

Bergman is terrific in both, you can't expect anything less yet Notorious is WAY better.

Spellbound for me. Like CeeTee said, it has a more interesting plot, a better score, and a better chemistry between the two main protagonists. Notorious is really good, but Spellbound engaged me more.

Neither would crack my top five Alfred Hitchcock films, but Notorious wins here for being the less plodding and FAR less silly of the two.

Love Ingrid in both, but Notorious is the correct answer.