Pink Floyd The Wall vs. Tommy

3 comments

0 comments

I'm biased here; Pink Floyd is my favorite band. The Who would probably fit in my top five, but I'm getting off topic here. The Wall is much better thematically and after it's done there is a lot more material to chew on. Tommy's soundtrack and over-the-top '70s excess is very fun. It even does a better job of representing the story, ideas, and the symbolism than the original album did. However, it has its faults. Personally, The Wall works better for me in almost every aspect (The Wall especially doesn't reek of its time period). The Wall's dark tone and symbolism has stuck with me even after watching it countless times. The only thing that bothers me is the re-usage of certain clips throughout the film; it never quite worked for me. The Wall wins! (The Wall also wins as an album. Maybe if we were talking about The Who's Quadrophenia...)

The Who is my favorite band, but Pink Floyd certainly is up there in my top 10! For the albums, I love Pinball Wizard, but I'd give it to The Wall just because I think it sounds better, while this isn't taking anything away from Tommy. As for the movies, Tommy is a pretty fun 70's flick, but The Wall was more meaningful and well-made. Tommy is fun, The Wall is deep. I'm going with the deep one here, but I do enjoy both.

Pink Floyd The Wall (1982)