The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou vs. Devil

8 comments

4 comments

Yeah, a bunch of boring people stuffed in an elevator playing "Guess Who Satan Is" vs. a magical film about seafaring people who say lots of quirky, funny things. It seems like the only way a person could choose Devil here is if a lobotomy was involved. I mean, the whole movie is like an episode of the Twilight Zone stretched to feature length, but without the benefit of Rod Serling narrating. Does M. Night Shyamalan poop into a bucket, and then some studio head looks at it and says "Yeah, this'll be a blockbuster"? Yeah, some people don't dig Wes Anderson's style. But c'mon.

Let's see, when I saw Aquatic at the theater, no less than 10 people walked out. Three others were sleeping when the lights came up. I enjoy Wes Anderson, but Aquatic is the worst movie I have ever seen in the theater. It currently is last on my flickchart. That means..."Devil"...

Let's see, when I saw Aquatic at the theater, no less than 10 people walked out. Three others were sleeping when the lights came up. I enjoy Wes Anderson, but Aquatic is the worst movie I have ever seen in the theater. It currently is last on my flickchart. That means..."Devil"...

Did you check those sleepers/walk outs for lobotomies? I assume you don't have a lobotomy, but Devil is one of the most pedestrian, hackneyed and utterly pointless movies I've seen in a long time. Since I didn't fall asleep or walk out during The Life Aquatic, and actually have it ranked near the top of my Flickchart list, I must've gotten something more out the movie than these people you're talking about.

True...perhaps you did. Nor did I insult your opinion. But I'm entitled to mine. You love it...I hate it. But I've seen a LOT of movies worse than Devil...

All I know is, I've seen several thousand movies of all different types and The Life Aquatic has emerged as a favorite. Devil isn't the worst movie I've seen, but I gained nothing positive from watching it. I assume Devil means less to you than The Life Aquatic means to me, but my opinion can't really be insulted anyway. If you like (or dislike) a movie, and have put some thought into why you feel as you do, then what other people think doesn't matter a whole lot.

I'll take my mildly creepy people in the elevator over the obnoxiously boring people on the boat any day.

I think I'll have to take Devil too, but not by a lot. Life Aquatic does bring a lot more originality and thought, but it just doesn't entertain all that much. It's strange, I sort of conciously realised what Life Aquatic was doing and I nodded along and appreciated its touches... and then I questioned why I wasn't having much fun. Devil is bog standard horror, but it's alright for a few kicks. I thought the religious tales coming from the Mexican guy was hella stupid though, as was the narrative voice-over. Why is it always animals and ethnic minorities that either know about or sense the supernatural? Is melanin some kind of innate defence system against the Boogie-Man? Bah! It's funny how 'Devil' portrays Lucifer as the good guy though.

This is fascinating. We have people who hated Life Aquatic, and we have people who were unfulfillingly entertained by Life Aquatic. I've seen so many films like Devil that the unoriginality was exploding off the screen and my boredom seeped out of every pore. Even the "Satan-as-good-guy" bit is fantastically unoriginal. I just watched Drive Angry and Satan was mentioned as quiet and well-read. I think both versions of Bedazzled pull the Satan ain't so bad business. Devil is one of the most by-the-numbers, right off the conveyor belt horror films I have ever seen. It literally has nothing original to say whatsoever. Yes, Wes Anderson's film don't agree with everyone. I get that. But Devil is uninspired to the nth degree. It's been done over and over and over and over in different variations. That's all I got to say about that.

"Why is it always animals and ethnic minorities that either know about or sense the supernatural?" Oh, yeah! I just saw this same crap in Paranormal Activity II! Who knew about demons and ghosts? The ethnic housekeeper! Sweet Lord almighty, Devil couldn't be more unoriginal if it fit a hooker with a heart of gold and police chief who yells a lot into the story. Did they even try? Seriously?!

Or is it police captain? Well, you get my point.

Paranormal Activity 2 is precisely the movie I was thinking about during Devil! I think it even had a crazy dog. You're right, Devil is entirely unoriginal. What struck me about the Devil as a good guy thing was how it was set-up. I mean, I think it was completely unintentional. Someone/something rips the shit out of these seemingly random people and said someone/something is spoken of as evil. Duh, but ok, fine. Then we get these back-stories explaining how the dudes in the lift/elevator are all bastards, basically just to kill time, but also to inject a 'whodunnit' type mystery in the proceedings by suggesting one of the bastards might be responsible (which is retarded because the film's title gives it away). Even though the force is spoken of as evil (or just explicitly called the Devil) it turns out he's offing bad guys... so he's good? I really don't think it was an attempt to overtly say the Devil is good, it just works out like that by pure happenstance. That made me chuckle a bit. Other than that I thought Devil was short enough and easy enough to watch to comfortably kill time. Maybe on another day, in another mood, I'd have been bored to sleep too.

When I watched it, it seemed like the whole set up was completely ridiculous. I can't remember the particulars (aside that the ending amounted to nothing more than a simplistic morality tale), but the idea that Satan would need to gather a bunch of low-lifes into an elevator for the sake of scaring a confession out of them... Wasn't that the whole point? I mean, Satan has all the time in the world. Does he need to gather souls in an elevator? Why? The best I can come up with is that maybe Satan didn't want to risk any of them repenting at some point later in their lives. So he gathered some of them together and killed them before they could repent? So, then, he's not really "good". Just impatient, maybe?

Yeah, it's definitely a morality tale (one guy repents, one guy forgives), just a confused one I think. I don't know why Satan would want to scare a confession out of people. Wouldn't that basically be counterproductive? Satan wants people in hell but confession would be the first point of forgiveness right? I dunno, he only gets one confession anyway. Your second point is definitely feasible, but, as you said, there's something iffy about old Lucifer devoting time to handful of people just so others can watch (the religious Mexican guy says something about Satan doing things for witnesses, I think). Still, the way it unfolds makes Lucifer seem intent on retribution and justice rather than just misguiding/leading people to hell. Stupid movie either way.

I went to watch Devil to see what one of my favourite films' popular discussion is. .... Seriously?