The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou vs. The Grand Budapest Hotel

3 comments

9 comments

Probably Anderson's two strangest films. Both feature Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Owen Wilson and rediculously careful camerawork. I'd rather stay a night at the Budapest than attend a Zissou premiere though, as I would be less likely to be attacked by Bill Murray under Zero's lobby boyship.

Oh, this is an easy win for Grand Budapest.

My two favourite Wes Anderson films (only seen 5 so far). This is a very close match-up, whatever my chart says for now.

Both are not my favorite Wes Anderson film but I'll be perfectly honest I like Life Aquatic more

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is, without a doubt, Wes Anderson's strangest, and I love it for that; plus, it and Fantastic Mr. Fox are the only two that I can even deem worthy of honorable mentions in the discussion of Anderson's best looking film. But The Grand Budapest Hotel, to me, sort of feels like Bottle Rocket 3, and I mean that in the best way. First there was Bottle Rocket, then The Darjeeling Limited, and now The Grand Budapest Hotel. What I'm saying is that they all feel as if they were cut from the same mold, or at least similar ones, but that Anderson's become more and more refined as his career goes on and so he's able to do more with that mold each time out. I'm sure others will call it blasphemous to argue that The Darjeeling Limited is superior to Bottle Rocket, but whatever. And with The Grand Budapest Hotel, I think Anderson has gotten all he possibly can out of that mold, whereas with The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, I can still see more room for refinement. With that in mind, The Grand Budapest Hotel wins.

While Grand Budapest is one of Anderson's better movies, it is not as heartwarming and soul-enriching as Life Aquatic. There is something more genuine about the characters in that film. Budapest is funny, and the characters are endearing, but they don't feel real. More like quirky constructs. I think that's how I would divide Anderson's films: Genuinely Quirky vs. Contrived Quirky (Darjeeling being the worst offender).

I really don't mind his Contrived Quirky stuff (I love Darjeeling, actually). But I'm siding with you. Bill Murray, front-and-center (I could end my argument right there), David Bowie, Willem Dafoe is on fucking fire, gorgeous to look at, and Owen Wilson does a great job. Then again, Owen Wilson always does a great job when Wes Anderson is involved. Not a knock on Grand Budapest, at all, because I had a blast seeing it on the big-screen. Fiennes was also on fire (Jesus Christ, what a fun performance) and the movie just refuses to bore you. Refuses to. But yeah, Steve Zissou...winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I haven't seen Rushmore or Bottle Rocket yet, but of the Wes Anderson movies that I have seen, these are definitely the two saddest. The main difference for me was that I just liked M. Gustave H. and Zero better than Zissou and Ned. Also, Dafoe's character was a much better villain than the pirates or the shark. Still, both left me a little broken-hearted (in a good way).

ZISSOU

Easy choice for me, Grand Budapest

Life Aquatic is just a huge turd. Well...in my opinion...

Love EVERY Wes Anderson film, it is better than Christopher Nolan and Stanley Kubrick, both are great directors, but Wes owns. But, come on, it's Grand Budapest Hotel all the way.

In the minority here, but to me Zissou is Anderson's masterpiece.