Yellow Submarine vs. A Hard Day's Night

1 comments

4 comments

I love them both. A Hard Day's Night for capturing the beginning of Beatlemania.

Yellow Submarine probably has the better soundtrack,but A Hard Day's Night is a much more entertaining movie.

I could not resist commenting on this one! I am quite a fan of "The Fab Four" and own Sgt. Peppers and Revolver on vinyl. A Hard Days Night is an outstanding comedy that clearly shows how one SHOULD make a movie about a popular band during their height! You look at all of these "documentary" type concert films nowadays, and everything is so exaggerated that they just come across as fake... and they are! Films such as This Is Spinal Tap and A Hard Days Night do not tell the audience that they are real, but they feel real because they talk about real things. A Hard Days Night does not try to make The Beatles come across as tragic heroes, and thus the audience is given the opportunity to bond with them on a human level. I am rather sick of these modern films about popular musical artists attempting to make the artists seem other worldly or greater than the audience, because they are not. A Hard Days Night is an undoubtedly honest film that I, personally, believe should be mentioned within a Film 101 course. A stellar picture, indeed!

A Hard Day's Night is a lot of fun and a great comedy but Yellow Submarine is an overflowing psychedelic masterpiece that still manages to be revolutionary and coherent. A feast for the eyes, ears and heart. Long before Bill and Ted, the Beatles saved the universe with their peerless music. All you need is love.

Holy fuck, these two were pretty great movies. Love the psychedelia and the music in Yellow Submarine, but A Hard Day's Night was just kinda more of my scene. And it had actual Beatles playing The Beatles!