Kong: Skull Island vs. Godzilla

5 comments

2 comments

The two will be facing off in some years time, so this matchup seems appropriate. Kong was fine fluff, Godzilla had some major flaws but I certainly wouldn't describe it as fluff - there is some neat filmmaking on display here, too bad it has some pretty uninteresting characters and a confusing ending - like, what, you're just letting Godzilla go? And why was Ken Watanabe all like "ah man, Godzilla is such a good monster"? Easy win for Godzilla.

After my first viewing of Skull Island, I was hesitant to put it above Godzilla, which I liked quite a bit. However, I've just rewatched both (second time for Skull Island, third for Godzilla), and you know what? Skull Island is hella entertaining. Balls to the wall action, bright and colorful, gonzo filmmaking, full of just the right amount of humor. Sam Jackson crushes it. Godzilla, meanwhile, also features some great filmmaking, and some memorable shots, but it takes itself way too seriously, and its dull, gray color palette supports that feeling. Bottom line, these are both good monster movies, but Skull Island is just way more FUN.

Kong: Skull Island was dumb fun. Godzilla was just dumb.

Man, Godzilla was boring. It makes Kong: Skull Island look like the mother of all thrill rides.

Godzilla

I go with Godzilla here, in fact anything rather than that whole skull island film

Kong Skull Island is much better than Godzilla because it had a lot of great things