The Departed vs. The Shining

8 comments

13 comments

Kubrick and Nicholson vs Scorsese and Nicholson. Kubrick got a better performance out of Jack then Martin did, but overall I think Scorsese wins it.

I don't agree with Reel Rumbles on this one. I believe The Departed was better. Both were awesome, don't get me wrong, but The Departed wins in my humble opinion.

The Departed isn't even Scorscese's best. Nicholson is trancendant in one; clownish in the other. Kubrick has created a world he seems to have inhabited all his life while Scorscese seems much less equiped to lay Boston open for us the way he does New York. The Departed is good; The Shining is perfect.

The Shining is a masterpiece, The Departed is medicore.

The Shinning is great, and Nicholson gives a much better performance, but the Departed was a far better, far more complex film.

The Shinning is great, and Nicholson gives a much better performance, but the Departed was a far better, far more complex film.

Very GOOD movies that will stick in your head for a very long time, but you just CAN'T BEAT Nicholson performance at The Shining and Kubrick breath-taking caption.

Shining.

Shining.

Incredibly close but The Shining it is.

The Departed is one of Scorsese's worst & most obvious movies. Still better than 99% of the stuff coming out these days, but no contest here.

The Shining. It's not even close.

Jack Nicholson's performance as Jack Torrance is incredible.

The Departed.

Departed for me.

The Shining is a great film, but The Departed easily wins in my book.

The Departed is my favorite Scorsese film and The Shining is my favorite Kubrick film next to A Clockwork Orange Kubrick wins this match up

The Departed is just overrated...

The Departed is a great crime thriller but The Shining is a movie that is so haunting and does so well at what it sets out to do that it can stay in your mind for days or even weeks!

haven't watched those in some time, but imma go with the more memorable one which is The Shining.

The Departed was super cool but The Shining is a masterpiece of horror

I like The Shining, but EASY win for The Departed here.

The Departed is definitely better. The Shining has better performances and its score is perfect. But I think The Departed is a more intelligently-structured plot, and generally just easier to watch than The Shining

Both good movies from 2 good directors but Kubrick beats Scorsese here.

damn I love the departed and it is probably the better movie but there is something about the shining that gives it a slight edge.

Departed wins. More complex plot and interesting characters.