Looper vs. The Dark Knight Rises

19 comments

21 comments

Looper starts off incredibly well with its unique take on the time travel concept. Unfortunately, the movie devolves into an M. Night Shyamalan-type movie with its "special" little boy. Weak. The telekinesis subplot pretty much ruined the movie for me. A film about time travel has the potential to be very cool and intriguing. So does a film about people with telekinetic powers. Cram those two concepts into a single movie? Way too much to buy into (at least for me). I didn't fall in love with The Dark Knight Rises upon first seeing it, but I did enjoy it more than I did Looper.

Both films are flawed in some parts but they are both still great movies and are the years best. Nevertheless I must feel that picking Rises' over Looper is the best thing to do. Christian Bale's performance is good as usual, Joseph Gordon Levitt is slightly better in Looper, but the big payout for me is Tom Hardy as Bane, what a performance.

Looper, easily. The Dark Knight Rises is a very good conclusion to a great series, but is heavily flawed in some areas.

Looper easily, The Dark Knight Rises has more problems then Prometheus, and the problems it does have are more distracting though TDKR and Prometheus are both still good movies Looper did things they were afraid to do e.g. kill of the hero (here's looking at you TDKR), TDKR would set things up and then take any importance from them by introducing something else e.g. making the classes fight against each other only to try blow everyone up, make Bane invincible then kill him with a gun, introduce Talia Al Ghul only to kill her 5 min later. Looper had some many layer and thing going on in the background, foreground and used time travel in one of the least paradox causing ways. TDKR is still a good movie but because of TDK coming before it and Nolan directing it didn't live up to my expectations whilst Looper blew me away even though i still Like Brick better Looper doesn't fell like a lesser movie.

Yeah, TDKR is a way flawed story, but it's not boring. That much I can say. Looper's narrative is not as flawed, but it's not as fun - which is what really counts.

Oh, also I didn't dig how Looper had to create and define terminology at the beginning. No biggie, but a little distracting.

One of the many reasons why I love a movie is the ENDING! I love both of these films but TDKR's ending was better and more entertaining. Looper was great though!

From what I've seen, these are the two best movies of the year.

It baffles me how much people like "The Dark Knight Rises."

I change my mind, Looper is a better movie. Joseph Gordon Levitt is growing as an actor, which impresses me a lot.

It baffles me how much people love BOTH these films. Don't get me wrong, TDKR is much better on second viewing, but neither is the masterpiece everybody seems to be cracking each one up to be. TDKR is a decent conclusion to the series with some spectacular moments but with pointless/uninteresting characters, many of whom make stupid decisions, not to mention the fact that EVERY decent set piece, however spectacular, is revealed in the marketing. Looper feels like a film which, as Caesar rightly put, tries to put two major Sci-Fi elements into a film which nobody has tried before and ultimately don't fit together that well. The film was marketed as a Sci-Fi chase film with time travel (think Terminator 2 with the production values of Drive and Inception), but wound up like a crossover between Witness and Children of the Corn. The tone was incredibly jarring and oscillating; one minute the villains are running around like headless chickens with ridiculous trench coats and revolvers, a la Boondock Saints, the next minute Bruce Willis (who started out as the only remotely likeable character in the film) is shooting kids. The characters either have distracting traits, are cliched or just plain unlikeable; Emily Blunt is incredibly mis-cast as the Sarah Conner badass protective mother figure, the child talks like a 10 year-old but looks like a 5 year-old (which really distracted me), and most of the rest of the supports are unmemorable (apart from the aforementioned silly Boondock Saint/Drive villains). The film does have its better elements and moments, such as the JGL vs Bruce Willis confrontation, both of whom put in decent performances in their respective roles as each other (it was also interesting how the two characters pretty much did the exact opposite to each other; one become more likeable and the other less as the film progressed), but for the most part it was a mediocre film which tried to cram more genres and themes into it than were healthy. TDKR was problematic, but at least I wanted to see it again in order to get a better grasp on it. I do not feel the same desire for Looper, so TDKR wins.

Seb
Seb

easily looper

The Dark Knight Rises is indeed more flawed, but also more entertaining and more satisfying.

I loved the various sci-fi elements in "Looper." Made it a more interesting flick to me.

JRM
JRM

It's really a toss-up for me. I loved both, but will admit neither is perfect. The Dark Knight Rises was a very epic conclusion to a great trilogy, but it did seem to buckle under the weight of its ambitions; while LOOPER was a highly original and engaging sci-fi film that didn't execute the TK element as well as it could have. Perhaps it shouldn't have included TK at all, as I don't feel it mends well with a time travel theme to begin with (and it sometimes distracts from the overall realistic tone of the film.). I'm giving it to 'RISES'.

JRM
JRM

... For now. In time I may change my mind.

Looper is for me, the best movie of the year. It was so innovative, it breathed life into the time travel/mind fuck genre of films.

Tdkr when you watch the bonus features on blu ray and you see the making of the movie , you Will then vote for Batman even of you loved looper

Joseph Gordon Levitt is fantastic in both movies but Nolan's direction is superior. To me, Looper had a great story and characters, but the ending seems incomplete for me. What I mean is for a Sci Fi Action movie, the action at the end is bland and too quick, when you compare to Sci Fi Actions such as OT Star Wars, Terminator etc. So Dark Knight Rises!

Dark Knight Rises!

TDKR

WTFITS

Yeah, Looper.

O.K...this is pretty difficult. Both of them were good films. Maybe Looper then, because it did such a great job of freaking the hell out of me.

Ugh, The Dark Knight Rises is already underrated. Looper was a real bore for me and I'm clueless about the praise it received. Too much exposition, a wasted Emily Blunt, dull action, needlessly convoluted story, Paul Dano... it just goes on and on and on. Looper is more proof that if you want to make a time travel movie... don't.

Two movies that got wrongfully snubbed from the 2012 Oscars.

Looper was filled with paradoxes that don't really make sense, but that is also sort of the appeal of it, but I'm still going with TDKR

Lol Oscars. These are two of the worst films in 2012.

"...dull action..." Say whaaaat? Looper had some of the better action scenes of the year, I thought. The last *few* years, actually. They've got rhythm, the editing's there...what's not to like? I mean, I'm actually flabbergasted at the idea of someone thinking Looper's action was dull. It's not Michael Bay-obnoxious, but that don't make it dull.

Nin
Nin

Looper isnt half as clever as it wants to be. Infact its got some serious flaws that ruin it if you look too closely. TDKR was disappointing but is at least logical.

Both are amazing, but not much beats the Bat.

I'm actually curious about these good-time-ruining flaws.

Both had me awaiting the inevitable letdown when I first saw their trailers, neither of which could live up to my expectations in the least, and I had to readjust them accordingly. One caught me by surprise, as a result of these lowered expectations, and the other somehow managed to disappoint me still. The former is Looper and the latter is The Dark Knight Rises. Both films are easy to poke holes in, but whereas with Looper you can argue that all time-travel films not named Primer are bound to suffer from such issues, with The Dark Knight Rises there's only the "it's a superhero film, what did you expect?" argument to fall back on, one which is invalidated by Christopher Nolan's noted pursuit of realism with the trilogy. Based on that alone, Looper gets the nod here. I could say more, but I've had my say about why The Dark Knight Rises disappointed me like no other film, and why I loved Looper, elsewhere. So I won't drag this comment thread down with my elongated ramblings on both subjects.

I saw Caesar's comment and I agree with that. The first half of the film really kept me going. I was interested in the story and starting to really get immersed into the story. I thought it'll be fantastic but the last half is utterly disappointing to be fair. It really falls apart there with the 5 year old, who by the way, was fantastic! That isn't the point. The film was initially a time travel action film that was quite deep. Yes! But, then this kid comes in and the story becomes all about him. The ending also was extremely disappointing and felt truly unsatisfying. The action in the film was tremendously weak for an action film. Take Terminator 2 or films like Aliens. The conclusion to those films is fantastic as there is plenty of action, but not over the top nor unneccessary. Those Sci Fi action films wrap up extremely well but Looper fails at wrapping up The Dark Knight Rises was flawed, yes. But it offers great entertainment value and is nevertheless, a fantastic conclusion to a modern epic! The first half hour of Rises beats all of Looper, I didn't like it nor do I understand the praise the film gets

Dark Knight wins. #4 of 2012 over my #5 of 2012.

looper

looper

Looper is the better film where it counts story plot and its super fun -TDNR i Think is only the 4th best Live action Batman film and I hated the Bane character and the overall story of it.

Looper is a near perfect sci fi thriller. It is plotted out carefully and precisely with quality acting and more than serviceable special effects and then the ending hits you so hard that you realize what was an interesting sci fi movie is actually a fantastic film. While this is formulaic, it is very rarely done as well as in Looper.

Dark Knight Rises bloated flawed story loses out to the tighter world-building of Looper

The Dark Knight Rises, while flawed, was an emotional rollercoaster and gets my vote here.

Looper is definitely better, TDKR is far more even more terrible.

it baffles me how much people hate the dark knight rises