Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace vs. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

22 comments

22 comments

on 8/10/2009

How ever do you pick between the two worst movies in their respective franchises??

on 8/13/2009

In terms of reboots i think Star Wars at least captured the original atmosphere better then the latest chapter of Indiana Jones.

on 8/15/2009

This is tough. I'd take Crystal Skull over Attack of the Clones, but I'll give this one to The Phantom Menace.

on 8/15/2009

Neither are the worst entry in their respective franchises, unless you are one of those people who thinks that anything more than a decade old is an undisputable "classic". Both take their franchises in different directions -- PHANTOM going boldly political and Eastern while JONES goes as batty as a homeless conspiracy nut -- and I enjoyed both immensely for what they were.

on 10/28/2009

The Phantom Menace vs Crystal Skull? Uh...both sucked, but Phantom menace sucked less. Just a teeeeny bit less.

on 10/28/2009

Jedis.... Or Nazis.... Hard pick.

on 11/15/2009

Episode I. I liked it way more than Episode II. Crystal Skull on the other hand was terrible. Actually, it was kinda funny because of how bad it was.

on 12/8/2009

Sorry, but I gotta stick with Indy on this one...George Lucas didn't COMPLETELY ruin the Indiana Jones series...

on 4/9/2010

I got to go with Indiana cause I love those movie a lot. Harrison Ford is the man!!! Plus The newer Star Wars trilogy sucks!!! For crying out loud jar jar binks made the ewoks look like Shaft.

on 4/21/2010

Wading through the layers upon layers of shit in order to try to figure out which of these abominations is the worst could take decades. I'm going to base this decision on only one factor: Which movie has the most annoying child actor? Though both movies desecrated the legacy of a venerable series, at least Crystal Skull does not have an annoying child actor. Or Jar Jar Binks (I had to throw that in).

ear
ear

on 4/22/2010

This is a difficult choice but Jar Jar tips it to Indiana Jones.

on 5/4/2010

Two of the most disappointing movies ever. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a bigger disappointment to me though and at least Episode One had Natalie Portman. Either way both are crap.

on 5/6/2010

Fuck it all to hell. Darth Maul is still a bad-ass.

on 8/31/2010

Sucked and sucked.

on 9/26/2010

Oh my god, is there a neither button?

on 10/2/2010

I'd take Crystal Skull over any of the Star Wars prequels, to be honest.

on 10/23/2010

Even with Jar Jar, Portman will always win it for me

on 10/23/2010

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

on 11/10/2010

Damn you, George. Stop trampling on my childhood.

on 11/10/2010

I'm going to avoid saying anything specific to avoid starting arguments here, but I'm just going to say that I collectively disagree with all these previous comments.

on 4/30/2011

I honestly didn't hate either of these films, although they both are low points in their respective franchises.

on 5/7/2011

I'll break the tie with a vote for Indy. Oh, and Phantom Menace isn't the worst Star Wars film- that title would go to Attack of the Clones.

on 5/7/2011

No question about it...the worst Star Wars film. That being said, still way better than Indy 4!

on 5/7/2011

No question about it...the worst Star Wars film. That being said, still way better than Indy 4!

on 6/23/2011

which is the least bad sequel?

on 8/17/2011

2 steaming piles that ruined my child hood i hate both movies but i hate crystal skull a little less how could u 2 do this to me speilberge made so manny good movies why couldn't u help george with star wars reboot and make great movies george ur a good writer and u have great ideas for movies but when it comes to writing lines u could use some help and when it comes to directing well u just cant do it don't feel bad u just need help to make greatness its not something to be ashamed of u help make greatness spielberg is not a great writer or or good idea man but he is a great director and togehter u 2 have made magic but spilberg need great writers and lucas u need great directors and together u cam make gold why are u so stubborn in ur old age why cant u work together and be great why do u have to show the world u dont need each other we all know u dont need each other but lucas needs direcots and spileberg needs writers so why not just work together and share oscars

on 8/17/2011

2 steaming piles that ruined my child hood i hate both movies but i hate crystal skull a little less how could u 2 do this to me speilberge made so manny good movies why couldn't u help george with star wars reboot and make great movies george ur a good writer and u have great ideas for movies but when it comes to writing lines u could use some help and when it comes to directing well u just cant do it don't feel bad u just need help to make greatness its not something to be ashamed of u help make greatness spielberg is not a great writer or or good idea man but he is a great director and togehter u 2 have made magic but spilberg need great writers and lucas u need great directors and together u cam make gold why are u so stubborn in ur old age why cant u work together and be great why do u have to show the world u dont need each other we all know u dont need each other but lucas needs direcots and spileberg needs writers so why not just work together and share oscars

on 8/17/2011

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

on 9/5/2011

No comments? Really? I got a comment for ya, George. (Though, actually, I think I shall choose the high ground and remain polite...)

on 9/12/2011

I like both of these series but I am much more of a Star Wars fan than Indie. I watched Crystal Skull and I did not hate it but it was not very memorable for me. Harrison Ford needs to stop doing action movies, he can barley walk. Phantom Menace was a pretty good start to the prequels of Star Wars. Jake Lloyd is a terrible child actor and Jar Jar is a little annoying but all together it was an entertaining movie.

on 10/10/2011

Both franchises were on the winning team before those movies,both made serious mistakes to ever show up again. But at least when i watched Phantom Menace i still had a hope that the new trilogy was going to get better. It didn't.

on 10/10/2011

I hate closed-minded people

on 1/4/2012

I hate poor-ended franchises

on 2/4/2012

Every Star Wars is better than the last Indiana jones film, as good as it is, Star Wars is hard to match up against

on 2/16/2012

Thats right. Every Star Wars burns the last Indy.

on 9/13/2012

I'll take Indy 4 any day of the week over Episode 1. Although in its defense, I enjoyed Episode 1 alright, but Indy 4 tramples and kicks the hell out of it for me no matter which way you slice it. And I must echo one of the previous comments. Jar Jar Binks did make the Ewoks look like Shaft.

on 9/13/2012

Is "closed-minded" just slang for "anyone who disagrees with me" these days?

on 9/13/2012

I'm surprised Episode 1 got the majority of the votes. Indy 4 didn't have midichlorians. Indy 4 didn't have Jar Jar Binks. Indy 4 is better than any of the prequels. And I'm going to see it for a second time this weekend, to refresh my mind. Indy marathon, can't wait.

on 9/13/2012

Phantom Menace wins its undertated

on 2/6/2013

Both bad movies but this last indy is better in my opinion ( less cgi shit)

on 2/6/2013

Neither is good, but I think I'd take Phantom Menace in this shit matchup.

on 2/9/2013

Indiana Jones 4 over The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones all the way every day.

on 2/10/2013

Both horrible but if i had to choose I'd say Indy 4.

on 2/27/2013

Spielberg for the win. I forget about Indy 4 until the moment it's brought up. The prequels, on the other hand, just won't die.

on 3/13/2013

Despite all the justified criticisms of Phantom Menace, I was a kid when it came out and I liked all the CGI in my face action. Didn't work on me as an adult watching Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Regardless, I'm not a fan of relentlessly hating on films, both are watchable. I said watchable, not good.

on 6/6/2013

Indy 4 wasn't that terrible, I had a good time overall. SW prequels were a nightmare!! No Jar Jar, no midichlorians, no little Anakin even if George's work is clearly evident with this film. Indy 4 beats any prequel.

on 6/8/2013

Both are the 4th film in their series and both were a total bitch slap to the face of the previous three installments which all happened to be amazing. Star Wars means more to me than Indiana Jones so for that reason I'm gonna switch over to the atrocious Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Neither of these films should ever have seen the light of day.

on 8/21/2013

I personally find myself in constant defense of both films. The Phantom Menace, while immensely flawed, and the worst of the trilogy, is still fun, and still contains its share of memorable scenes. Yes, some of the acting is pretty weak (mostly that of Natalie Portman), and Jar Jar Binks is pretty annoying, but its still a film I enjoy. The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, on the other hand, puzzles me as to where the hate is coming from. Yes, there are aliens and dubious looking effects, and preposterous action scenes, but isn't this supposed to be a sequel to a series of B movies anyway? After all, that's what the Indy films are; B movies- albeit, very good ones. To me, the aliens and cheesy effects were just part of the B movie charm, and I really enjoyed it. Both films have received too much hate, but Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull is the winner for me.

on 8/21/2013

^The aliens weren't the problem, at least not the biggest. It's just that Harrison Ford is too old to be convincing in his action scenes, and there's CGI everywhere. Part of the charm of the first three films was the real, rough and convincing stunts and action scenes. Now it's Shia LaBeouf swinging on the CGI lianes with the CGI monkeys in the CGI forest. There's nothing charming about that. There are a couple of moments in the film that make me smile, but pretty much all of those moments are throwbacks to the previous films.

on 3/23/2014

both underrated but star wars is much better

on 3/25/2014

I agree that both are underrated. They aren't the best of their franchises for sure but are enjoyable nonetheless. I'll go with Phantom Menace.

on 4/5/2014

I think I'm going to go with Indiana Jones 4 because it's kind likable when look with some good % I hate the new SW movies

on Jul 26

Episode I . still fun to watch. I was just hoping Indiana Jones to end from the first 1h on.