Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace vs. Star Wars

2 comments

48 comments

Do I even need to say it?

Yeah, I don't think anyone needs to say anything about this match-up.

No comment

Seriously? Like comparing apples to having the runs.

Personally, I think "Star Wars" gets a pass way too often for nostalgia and starting a beloved franchise. The movie itself is actually mostly boring. "The Phantom Menace" has its flaws and I'm still picking its predecessor but for me it's not the wash that everyone else considers it.

JRM
JRM

I agree with Minlshaw.

ear
ear

I agree with JRM.

lolwut

How can you even compare these?

There's no comparison over here

i agree with everybody :)

Star Wars was not an original story, but an original take on it, and defined the Sci-Fi opera. Episode I had modern tech/CGI going for it, but not much else.

hahahahahahahahaha NOTHING beats the original Star Wars.

The statistics pane won't load for me, but I'm pretty sure I can imagine it for myself.

Sometimes contrarianism just has no ground. Of course nostalgia makes people biased. You might as well mention how Star Wars is derivative too (a typical hero's tale regurgitation that mishmashes spaghetti western and samurai movie tropes); what matters is it's well made and full of personality. And it's hard to ever counter an accusation of "boring", because anybody can be bored by anything for any reason. But give the movie a sense of purpose and characters worth investing in (something the prequels forgot to do) and I probably won't be bored.

I have nothing to say...pizza.

One has Jar Jar Binks. That one loses...

Why the hell didn't Chewbacca get a medal at the medal ceremony at the end of Star Wars? Discrimination against Wookies disgusts me ("Where are you taking this...thing?"). Oh, and where did Luke Skywalker get that expensive-looking yellow jacket? The Rebel Alliance probably generously offered to pay for some new clothes so the poor farm boy would look presentable for his big day, and he ended up splurging on that jacket. He probably figured that he could purchase anything he wanted, and the Rebel Alliance couldn't say anything about it since he's the big hero. Come to think of it, he might've been the one responsible for Chewbacca not getting his medal...but that's just me speculating. Also, Star Wars wins this matchup.

The original ass-rapes Phantom Menace.

The Phantom Menace is Garbage. So, Star Wars: A New Hope wins by far. Anybody want a pizza roll?

HEY I SAID THAT I WILL ALERT THE INTERNET POLICE SOURCE http://www.flickchart.com/discussion/B63B9B9FF8/vs/EDD28278D4

MysticSpoon, I'm sorry.

MysticSpoon, Please Don't internet the Police.

Nah, man, you're too late. I called them 3 minutes ago. They say you have 3 days left. You better go hide, dude.

MysticSpoon Please Don't do this.

Like I said, too late.

MysticSpoon, Can you Please be more nice to me? One more thing I'm sorry and Tell the Police that I'm sorry.

MysticSpoon, I live in Staten Island.

I can't tell the police you're sorry!

And now the police knows where you live!

MysticSpoon, I just want to say that I'm sorry for copying you.

MysticSpoon, I Had trouble with copying your comments and I want to say that I'm very sorry.

Tell that to the internet police when they arrive.

I'm such an idiot. I acknowledge that.

MysticSpoon, I Know that I am very sorry for copying your comments and your list and Can you promise that you will be nice to me?

I can't promise anything.

?

Exactly, shane. Exactly.

MysticSpoon, Did you tell the police Not to arrest me after I answered all of your questions.

MysticSpoon, Did you tell the Police again that I was very sorry for copying your comments in the past and did you tell them not to arrest me since after I answered all of your questions on YouTube?

WHAT THE HELL? WHAT'S GOING ON!?! Anyways, the answer is obviously, no need to even mention it! The prequels SUCK!

So, are we getting pizza rolls or not?

Yeah, I'm with Caesar on this one, where are the damn pizza rolls?

Now this one's obvious.

The original Star Wars film was full of imagination and excitement and still manages to impress me today. The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son.

In seriousness, I watched Phantom Menace more recently as an 18-year-old so I was at least prepared for a mediocre film.

This is the best matchup discussion in the whole site. But I fear the promised pizza roles will never come. (For a thousand summers, I will wait for you . . .)

Ah yes, the bjonesb18 / jarjar4evr2 / bowenjonesbusch debacle. Anyone remember that guy? Fun times.

(Fucking annoying times as well.)

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

I don't see how this is hard star wars by far

The one without Jar Jar Abr--Binks definitely.

I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan, so it's hard to choose between these two. But in that case, I'll go with Star Wars.

I'm not a fan at all of The Phantom Menace. Star Wars by a mile.

NOTHING COMPARES To Star Wars: A New Hope!

A New Hope is overrated. The Phantom Menace is underrated. It's close, both are pretty bad for a Star Wars film, and you'll all hate me for saying this, but I like Episode I better

Rac
Rac

Duel of the Fates is a cool song.

I don't hate The Phantom Menace or any of the prequels, for that matter, but this isn't even close.

"Remember, the Force will be with you...always."

Star Wars oviously

Obviously those Star Wars prequels are cheesy terrible, the original trilogy is the real bam.

As for as the Star Wars prequels are the terrible forgettable prequels ever seen, obviously the original trilogy smashes here.

I rewatched the original trilogy as well as The Phantom Menace today. The 1977 original is still so damn good! The character arcs, pure imagination and imagery are first class and it's pure escapism into another world. I think I still prefer Empire but it's a more adventurous and complete film! Now for Phantom Menace. It's interesting to hear people now defend the prequels unlike only a few years when they were the most hated films in history. And, I'm not apologising but, I still think Phantom Menace is utter crap. The plot makes no sense and has way too much political talks, the characters and dialogue is so damn bland and while there are some cool ideas with the visuals, the CGI is so overused that everything looks fake. It's like a bad science fantasy movie for children. Apart from the music, there's also no redemptive qualities (even the Dual Of Fates suffers as Qiu Jon and Maul has 0 character development so I didn't find myself invested in the fight). And the 1977 original is well paced and always moving, The Phantom Menace is so damn bloody slow and takes too long to get, well, nowhere!

The original trilogy for sure.

Phantom Menace for now. But I need to rewatch the first Star Wars film.

What I was thinking? It's Star Wars all the way.

Phantom Menace is better than the overrated Star Wars.

TPM is pretty underrated, But Star Wars changed pop culture forever in the first few minutes alone.

Star Wars... is Star Wars.

Bruh it's not even a contest. The original is so much better

While I agree with the majority that Star Wars (Episode IV) is the better of these two films, its a lot closer for me then most people. The Phantom Menace is was hugely innovative in its own way and many (though not all) of the special effects still hold up today, which is more then I can say for many other films made in the same era. The film is a slow burn at times, but then so was the original. It also has some of the best set pieces in the entire saga (the pod race, the lightsaber battle) and, in my opinion, THE best score from John Williams (which is saying a lot). I also think the characters are far more likable and well written then most people realize. There is a lot of subtlety to Qui Gon Jin, Padme, Shmi, and even Anakin. Sure, there are some clunky lines and Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman are both in a little over their heads, but the same can be said for Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammill. Anyways, as I said, Star Wars is better but both are great films, imo.

Both are the worst of their respective trilogies but Star Wars is better than the whole prequel trilogy.

Phantom Menace is still the bottom of the Star Wars movies